A/C charging

smokin5s

ok, so I bought a can of the charging fluid for my A/C. A few years back, when doing some modifications, somehow one of the A/C lines got accidentally cut so all of the fluid ran out of the system... since then, I've replaced the line. I tried charging it over the weekend, but as soon as I hook up the can, the meter shows that it's full... I tried pushing on the button to put some in, but it just shows red on the meter. I turned the A/C on MAX but that made no differnce.

This is on a '97 Camaro.

What am I doing wrong?

is the vacuum pump to pull out all of the air in the system?

sounds like a junk fill tube and gauge. if you want you can bring it by tonight with 3 cans of R134a and i can recharge it with my gauges and vacuum pump for $10.

You pull vacuum on the system primarily to dry it. At lower pressure the moisture in the system "boils" at a much lower pressure. The dryer the system - the colder the a/c can get. If this system has been discharged for a while, you would benefit from replacing the accumulator or receiver dryer - the dessicant in the one on the car isprobably worthless.

You need to bypass the a/c compressor relay... it is on the drivers side (if I remember correctly) in that black plastic box.. use a paperclip after removing the relay...

Otherwise it will cycle and you wont be able to effectively fill it..

vacuuming the system out also allows for more A/C charge since there is nothing in it to fill the void (ie. air)

You need to bypass the a/c compressor relay... it is on the drivers side (if I remember correctly) in that black plastic box.. use a paperclip after removing the relay...

Otherwise it will cycle and you wont be able to effectively fill it..

red neck over fill method 101

thanks, I appriciate it... since AJ is a GM Tech, I'm going to let him do it... the 10 dollars is well spent as far as I'm concerned if it saves my A/C unit and allows for my car to not be boiling hot in the summer time. :)

that AJ is pretty bad ass, someone should give him a rise.

Speaking of, I need to get with you too AJ. I never got around to it last year when we talked about this exact same thing.

well if you want to swing by tonight i can do yours too, we'll have an A/C charging party lol.