lt1 head removal

dan93z28

I'm knee deep in removing the cylinder heads from my 93 z28 and I'm having trouble removing the two "banjo" bolts that hold a coolant line to the back of the heads. the problem is that they are back underneath the cowl, and the heads of the bolts are very shallow. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and has any advice. I've tried open and closed end wrenches, and they are too close to the fire wall to use a socket.

I don't want to cut the tube if at all possible cause I'm spending enough money

as it is in new parts although i guess that could be a last ditch effort. and a longer wrench wont fit back under the cowl at all. the main problem is that i can't get a good grip on the head of the bolt, a 15mm is just a little loose and a 9/16 wont fit on it. I think i'm gonna try and use a bolt out or maybe just fuck it up with some vise grips. what really makes it difficult is that i have to get up on my hands and knees in the engine bay to even be able to reach back there, so its hard to get leverage. as for removing the heads at the same time I was thinking about it and it might be the easiest way out. thanks for the advice guys

I guess i just need to fuckin do it, and get it over with.

yeah, those bolts suck ... I used a small crescent wrench

DO NOT LOOSE THOSE BOLTS OR SEALS ... PITA to replace and overpriced

I tried a crescent wrench on one of them and it just rounded it over. How much did they cost to replace? cause I'm gonna at least have to replace the driver side one. and yeah the intake manifold is off, these 2 bolts are the last 2 things i need to take off before i can pull the heads. Btw do you have to remove any bolts from the accessory bracket on the passenger side? It looks like you do but I'm not sure, and the hanes manual says nothing about it.