Help with buyer a larger car/SUV, price/mpg is issue.

Bam

What about a WRX wagon? I didn't see one of those mentioned. It might still be a little small, though.

I'd like one, but I looked at a bugeye a few months ago, the backseat is cramped I thought, not sure if the newer ones were any larger. Good idea though, I'd love one.

I haven't checked out the CRV's, or the newer Rav4's, but I remember a friend had like a 98 back in the day and that thing felt cramped to shit, have they made the new ones larger?

They are great for what they are but it's still considered a small SUV. If you go any bigger, you are going to drop big time on the gas mileage. The Honda PILOT is a great SUV but it might be out of your price range. Considering what others have recommended the CRV, RAV4 or Pilot would be your best buy. It is still a Honda but will last you longer and cost less in the long run than anything posted yet.... :cool:

If you want to go up in price a bit A4 or Passat wagon would be great. If you are only looking to pull bikes and not motorcycles than I would stick with a car. However, woman do like the SUV's because they can see out better and don't have to bend down (back problems) getting the kids in/out.

The Vue's are really nice SUV's especially for the money. There are hardly any problems with them other than a few suspension parts that are common. I could always help you look at one if you'd like. We have an '06 Redline Vue FWD 3.5 V6 on our used car lot here at Saturn West for $16k with 20k miles on it. Black leather interior. It's loaded, I almost thought about getting it myself. Here's a general picture for you, lowered 18 inch wheels, full body kit, stock everything.

http://au.carnewstoday.com/car-news/images/thumbs/lrg_article_1046-img_0.jpg

You now know CRs opinion, you should just go look at and drive all of the mentioned vehicles and make your own decision. You are buying this for you and your family, not for CR. :cool:

Yeah, I just needed more idea's in case I hadn't thought of something, case in point the Saturn.

Is this Vue Redline supercharged like the two door model they offer? That'd be cool.

Like I said earlier, I'm dedicating fri/sat/sun to hopefully finding a new car.

Yeah, I just needed more idea's in case I hadn't thought of something, case in point the Saturn.

Is this Vue Redline supercharged like the two door model they offer? That'd be cool.

Like I said earlier, I'm dedicating fri/sat/sun to hopefully finding a new car.

No it has a honda derived V6 that has like 250HP and comes in AWD as an option. Its more appearance then performance IMO.

They are nice though and with a Honda drivetrain, it can't be bad.

The GXP / GTP is not what I would recommend for kids. I have two car seats in the back and my 4yr old can't extend his legs there's so little room. My 03 Accord sedan had more usable back seat space.

The trunk is good and the seats fold down, but otherwise, I'd be better off with a GTO Space wise.

In the end, mpg's on the GTP will be in the same range as your old one. 16-19mpg overall city. My GXP....forget it.....13-16mpg in the city. Does great on the highway 26-30mpg.

How do you like your GTP for kids? I had an 01 back in the day, but it didn't get good gas mileage, but with mods and how I drove, that might've been my fault, decent trunk though I remember, but the new ones, like yours look bigger, can you haul decent stuff?

Ok, I've dealt with it as long as I think I can, I NEED a bigger vehicle, so something boring just to get the job done unfortunately is probably what I'll end up with. With my daughter growing up, and all the necessary things to haul around, plus wanting to take our bikes etc is just too hard in a little 4 door.

I loathe soccer moms with a huge SUV for no purpose, so I don't want something huge, nor can I afford that, but I need more room and it'll probably only come in the form of an SUV.

I really don't want to spend over $20k just for budget reasons, and would prefer new/newer. I'd also like mid 20mpg+, my car gets high 20's and its fine, but no 10-14mpg truck for me, I'd go broke.

I thought about Nissan Xterras, Ford Escapes, Toyota 4Runners, etc, but are there any larger cars that I could think about? Or other SUV/Crossover cars? New would be awesome, but a year or two old with under 40k -ish miles would be fine.

Any ideas?

MUST you have a "SUV"?

Several of the Marauder owners have Crown Vics (Police Inteceptors) as Dailys. Add a Hitch, and you can put on a bike rack, or a cargo hauler. They average OVER 20 MPG, can still move, and have a hellova lot of room inside. And better yet, they can be had CHEAP!!!! Not to mention the trunk!!!!!

KillJoy

Guest Mushijobah
MUST you have a "SUV"?

Several of the Marauder owners have Crown Vics (Police Inteceptors) as Dailys. Add a Hitch, and you can put on a bike rack, or a cargo hauler. They average OVER 20 MPG, can still move, and have a hellova lot of room inside. And better yet, they can be had CHEAP!!!! Not to mention the trunk!!!!!

KillJoy

Slow, Idleing their whole life, not immpressive rear room for the size, don't do it.

Thanks to Verse/Jon's help I'm gonna go check out the 06 Vue they've got in, never been in a saturn or thought about buying one, but the price seems nice and if its got a honda drivetrain that's another plus, will update on friday hopefully! thanks for the help guys.

Oh and Steve/kill joy, I don't NEED an SUV, it just seems for the cargo space I want those are my options, I'd take a nice sport wagon, but all there backseats seem cramped for me in my price range, now a magnum would be dope, but again, I don't think I could find one in my price range.

now a magnum would be dope, but again, I don't think I could find one in my price range.

HAHA!!!! I was just reading this thread to post that as well!!! Find a nice used smaller V6.....shouldn't be too expensive.

The RT version is FUN! The misses and I tested one out. Definately a nice grocery getter!

HAHA!!!! I was just reading this thread to post that as well!!! Find a nice used smaller V6.....shouldn't be too expensive.

The RT version is FUN! The misses and I tested one out. Definately a nice grocery getter!

Yeah, I remember test driving one with my dad awhile back when he was looking for a new car for my mom, she didnt like the styling though, but I'd DEFINITELY rock it. I'll look for a magnum, but I've been on 3 car review sites, and teh only complaint I've seen about the Vue is wind noise from the sunroof, but nothing else, that's a pretty good track record I think, hopefully it looks/drives just as nice.

I'd take a nice sport wagon, but all there backseats seem cramped for me in my price range,

mazda 6 wagon should be well in your price range and if you look you might find some 06's on the lot with big rebates cause of the new years cars. I'd call ricart and ask em

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/01/07/001724.4-lg.jpg

Guest Mushijobah
Apparently, you have only been in the Back w/ the Plastic Seats.

:D

KillJoy

:(

(Two of my friends have had them, but I have been in a couple not-so friendly ones in highschool)

Guest 78novaman

Does it have to be so new?

You can get a used 2000-2001 Jeep Cherokee (boxy) for less than $7,000. My mom's '01 has 170,000mi and still gets 26mpg freeway with the 4.0L six.

Off road? 4x4 Jeep wins hands down. Hauling? Add a hitch and tow up to 4,000lbs easy. Room? The rear seat folds down, you can fit a 8ft sheet of plywood back there! Reliability? Engine and drivetrain produced for 20+ years, my mom has 170,000+mi, my dad has a '97 with over 120,000.

The before mentioned Crown Vic is also a very good, reliable, big, roomy, and fairly easy on gas too.