I need Nitto DRs ASAP.

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nittos suck for traction. BFGs are the way to go, but wear out too soon if driven on everyday as compared to Nittos.

It has been my expericence that this is true.

As others have said, the Nittos are a bit of a compromise tire, but to some degree they all are. Usually the better they hook, the more they will suck in rain and the faster they wear with normal driving.

I always found BFGs to be the right compromise for me, but your results may vary depending on how (and how much) you drive the car. You're making a ton more power than I used to, so I would think that from a traction standpoint this might be a better choice - if you don't mind a marginal treadwear loss.

As for the M/Ts, I don't think they have been released in 18s yet (but they're coming). They would likely hook the best, but as stated before they will probably have the worst treadwear (if you want to call it tread). They are opposite the Nittos in the compromise spectrum (more toward drag than street). Can you clear 17s on your car? You could always go that route if you decide to compromise in this direction.

All that being said - the Nittos will at least be an improvement over standard street radials and won't require you to drive like you're on ice if you get caught in the rain and will probably last you most of the summer.

I've had all three. John, as I mentioned to you last year, you're going to smoke the 18" BFG's under 3rd gear, and maybe through 3rd depending on your powerband.....unless you can routinely do safe burn-outs right before you run.

Forget about the Nitto's -they're junk. Who gives a shit about tire wear?

Go with as small a wheel as you can get away with (ideally 15") and the widest ET Street you can fit rolling the fenders and you'll have a decent set-up. Then swap on your 18"s when you are just cruising.

Personally, I'd start with 18" BFG's and see how they react at higher boost when both cold and hot and go from there....

that is true about the Nittos they are junk, they are rock hard and dont grip at a track let alone off a track. so dont go that route, the 15 inch wheel is the most ideal way to go.

Even with a smaller rotor/caliper? Depends on how much hassle that is. If others are hooking 1000+ with a 16" ET Street, then you've got your answer. I've never tried 16"s.....I ran 15" Bogarts and Welds.

Christ, people, chill out. They're just fucking tires. :)

I've had Nitto DRs before, they worked fine for cruising around on the street. Yeah, they suck at the track and they hook less well than BFG's, let alone MT's. I'm not wedded to them by any means. All I was looking for in using them was to have a temporary set up that would be satisfactory for weekends like the one coming up - where I'm running some boost but far from a lot - and doing mostly cruising. And, no, when I think of cruising around, I don't envision doing it on a 15" or 16" tire. Yes, when I crank up the boost for serious action (e.g., money races), you can bet that it will be a smaller tire with a MT on there. That won't be this weekend. So, just because I'm asking for Nittos doesn't mean that's the only tire I ever intend to run. ;)

I appreciate all of the input nonetheless, so thanks.

You've waited long enough for this car John, so we're just trying to help you with previous experience so you don't get pissed off losing to much slower cars...:)

LOL, who says I'd be pissed? If it's been this long, then I think I'll be happy just to be behind the wheel of something with more than 300rwhp, win or lose. :)

LOL, who says I'd be pissed? If it's been this long, then I think I'll be happy just to be behind the wheel of something with more than 300rwhp, win or lose. :)

I call BS! Although I don't obviously know you well, you built that car back in 05 to race, not win show-n-shines :)

Thanks for the input guys.

But, I thought the Mickey Thompson's don't come in a size 18-inch tire?

I didn't post the link to them for my health. ;)

Yeah, they have a couple 18" sizes now, one being exactly what you want. You want this tire.

Guest Removed
Might I suggest going with something OTHER than Nitto DR's?? Yes, they have their place (great summertime daily driver drag radial, good traction w/ great life). But at your HP level + the amount of miles you will actually drive the car a year, IMO you are better off with a different tire.

How about:

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial. Offered in a 315/30R-18 which should fit

Or my suggestion:

Mickey Thompson Drag Radial, offered in a 305/35/18

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial

Those Nittos are just not going to hold up.

plus 1 on the mickeys.....

hooking ass mofos.

mickeys make them in 22" rim sizes now.they are kind of shooting for the exotic tire market now.

I didn't post the link to them for my health. ;)

Yeah, they have a couple 18" sizes now, one being exactly what you want. You want this tire.

Sorry, Joe, reading comprehension owns me. :o You're absolutely right - I do want that tire.