Six Stroke Engine

hot_wire

I hope that this isn't a repost. The idea behind this engine is absolutely brilliant.

SIX STROKE

Quick basics:

The engine has the same four strokes as our usual ones. However, two more strokes are added. After the exhaust gasses have been expelled, water is injected into the engine. The liquid immediately vaporizes and expands. Yes, this is STEAM POWER!

The idea is great on so many levels. The water that is injected cools the engine which could possibly eliminate conventional cooling systems (think light weight). Also, the six stroke engine would allow for much more efficiency. Car engines would no longer lose so much energy as heat since that heat could be recycled into mechanical energy. I think I read that it is 40% more efficient...

What do you guys think?

cool idea, but wouldn't the added weight from haveing to carry a second tank to hold water kinda defeat the propuse?

Maybe. However, (this is just theory) you could put a condenser in the exhaust and recycle some of the water

The water that is injected cools the engine which could possibly eliminate conventional cooling systems (think light weight).

What do you guys think?

what are you talking about? you will have to have a seperate (fuel sized) tank just for water. it would make it heavier.

damnit, i typed that and never sent it.

what are you talking about? you will have to have a seperate (fuel sized) tank just for water. it would make it heavier.

damnit, i typed that and never sent it.

Yeah, I understand that. Part of the reason for the condenser idea.

Who knows though. Not my invention. Interesting idea none the less.

Plus I didn't think HEAT + METAL + INSTANTLY COOLED resulted well.

On top of that you would need to use distilled water only. Otherwise mineral build up will occur at some point. Either at the injectors, or the valves/exhaust ports.

my.02

On top of that you would need to use distilled water only. Otherwise mineral build up will occur at some point. Either at the injectors, or the valves/exhaust ports.

my.02

+1 You'd have to use some damn clean water.

what about wash down of the cyllinders from the water? Lack of oiling protection anyone? This has happened on cars that over-use water injection as well as when big power cars use WAY too much fuel.

I didn't read the link because I'm toooo lazy, so I apologize if the answer was in there.

That's been around for a little while. The extra weight would be neglible depending on the savings you get for fuel economy. It's not like you're dumping a bucket of cold water onto a hot piece of steal. You're only spraying a small amount of water vapor, so that shouldn't cause any issues. You would need to use clean water though.

Pretty sweet idea none the less.

Plus I didn't think HEAT + METAL + INSTANTLY COOLED resulted well.

It's not that drastic. Since the water would almost instantaneously become steam, the cooling effect would only be minor. Not enough to create a problem I wouldn't think.

Water expands to 1700 times it volume when it turns into steam. Here is the RUB. Any solids in the water (and there will be) becomes deposited in the engine. The cost of purifing the water makes it a loosing battle.

It would be steam cleaning the combustion surfaces though. Cleaning any carbon, and whatever particles may be in the water itself would simply exit out the exhaust. Obviously you wouldn't be putting lake water into the car, but something as simple as water from a dehumidifier would work perfect as its distilled by nature.

Water expands to 1700 times it volume when it turns into steam. Here is the RUB. Any solids in the water (and there will be) becomes deposited in the engine. The cost of purifing the water makes it a loosing battle.

39 cents a gallon water from walmart has less then 10 ppm