LCD tv help

Skinner

OK we are looking to replace our current TV with a LCD looking at either a 46 inch if not a 50 ( wife wants a 42). Anyway after looking around there is a big price jump from 720p to 1080p. I have seen the difff when looking at hd video playback and 1080p is very nice.

Now heres what I'm wanting to know we mostly watch regular TV (timewarner) and the occasional DVD. Am I going to see that big of a difference if I go with the cheaper 720p TV over the 1080p with regualar cable and dvds. The reason i am asking this we found a 50 inch set that is 720p for $1300ish or a 42 inch 1080p for $1450ish.

If you don't want much HD content, and don't plan on hooking up a PC, the 720P will probably be fine.

I assume you plan on wall mounting it. Otherwise, don't waste you money on a flat panel; just get an LCD or DLP projection. They aren't that thick, and will save you a bundle.

there is no true 1080P resoultion in the market. Even Blue ray does not tranmit TRUE 1080p, HDMI connection van not support it, its very close but not quite, its an upscaling process.

I sold tvs for 2 years, buy a 720p and enjoy it for 7 years, and then we will have tvs you paint on the walls or something and buy one of those then. TV's are similar to computer buy for you needs now not for the future.

And Joe is right on cost savings, but flat panels are definalty the way to go, veiwing angles and contrast!

there is no true 1080P resoultion in the market. Even Blue ray does not tranmit TRUE 1080p, HDMI connection van not support it, its very close but not quite, its an upscaling process.

I sold tvs for 2 years, buy a 720p and enjoy it for 7 years, and then we will have tvs you paint on the walls or something and buy one of those then. TV's are similar to computer buy for you needs now not for the future.

And Joe is right on cost savings, but flat panels are definalty the way to go, veiwing angles and contrast!

I want to say hdmi 1.3 can support it, but the fps doesnt match useually.

Remember when buying a large hdtv, your regular programing will look like shit, and regular dvds with no upconvert also look grainy. I have a 1080i tv that i run upconverted dvds on and am very happy.

Yes we are wanting to do a wall mount the boys are climbing now so we wanting the wallmount and a small table for the components that we have. will probably replace our surround sound as well but that will depend on the TV we get.

I want to say hdmi 1.3 can support it, but the fps doesnt match useually.

Remember when buying a large hdtv, your regular programing will look like shit, and regular dvds with no upconvert also look grainy. I have a 1080i tv that i run upconverted dvds on and am very happy.

You're correct

I would keep your eye on a at least 10,000:1 contrast ratio, 720p, how hdmi you eventually need (unless you are planning on a new recievier with multi hdmi inputs), take a look on how it will look in your house too, i mean it is a 1000$ peice of furniture. Remeber, hd is expensive, wires + boxes, dvd players + dvds, are all pricey. get the protection plan!!!!!!!!! that will be like 400 bucks, mounting will be like a hundo.