Jackass family is stealig my pop cans from recycling bin.

Buck531

true. I bet he'd make more money at the McDonalds at the corner than he would picking up cans. just my point of view.

It is quite possible that picking up cans is not his only job...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't try to think that just because someone lives in gahanna they have no money problems...

I have money problems, but i'm sure as shit not going to start picking cans out of recycle bins ;).

Don't try to think that just because someone lives in gahanna they have no money problems...

Yeah but when you have a house car and I am sure many other possessions there is a ton more he could do than pick out cans. It takes so many cans to even get paper money so if NEEDS to do that then I don't see how he pays for his house.

Probably a penny pincher. "Look at all those cans going to waste when I can make $5."

Being broke sucks. I had the broke child hood. My parents worked and there was just not enough money. Mom had 2 jobs. Dad work a night job and help a farmer on the weekends. We didn't blow $ on things, we tried to get by. I'm not proud of it, but I have taken cans to the recycle place. In Vermont (where I grew up) a can was worth $.05. Not a lot of money. But, 3 trash bags full of cans, can get dinner on the table. I at least was walking down country roads picking them up (not many people see you). This poor guy has his whole family in a populated area doing it. Fucking humiliating.

On another note. I moved to Ohio with $300, no car, no job and in 3 days had it all covered. Ohio has $ and plenty of opportunity. If you are picking cans, then you are not trying hard enough and need to un fuck many other things in your life. If it's your credit or wage garnishment at you owe so much on you are fucked. Then picking cans is where it's at.

I'm not going to give him extra money to take the cans from the trash bins. I already pay for that, why would I want to pay someone else more to take cans?

Buck, you misunderstood what I was trying to get at. You pay 40$/monthly to recylce yet this guy is taking half of what you put to the curb anyway right? Simple, cancel the service and tell him he can have every recylcable from you house, put it in a cardboard box... he gets what he wants and you get what you want, no 40$ bill every month.

Being broke sucks. I had the broke child hood. My parents worked and there was just not enough money. Mom had 2 jobs. Dad work a night job and help a farmer on the weekends. We didn't blow $ on things, we tried to get by. I'm not proud of it, but I have taken cans to the recycle place. In Vermont (where I grew up) a can was worth $.05. Not a lot of money. But, 3 trash bags full of cans, can get dinner on the table. I at least was walking down country roads picking them up (not many people see you). This poor guy has his whole family in a populated area doing it. Fucking humiliating.

Joe, my family was the same exact way growing up. We weren't poor, and my parent's worked hard for a living but thats just how it was in NY. My dad had a great job working for Amtrak, with that salary bought a huge house. we walled off a portion of the first floor and turned it into an apartment. My dad was cheap and always looking to save a penny. But with a family of 5 kids what other option's were there? There was no shame in my family if we ever recycled can's for grocery money. Then again it was very acceptable to do so in those days and in that area.

So yeah, there's been this jackass who's going through our recycle bins taking the pop cans out to recycle them. My wife got smart and started taking the bins out the day of trash day (normally she'd do the day before). Well, I was home yesterday and noticed that he's STILL THERE picking the cans out. AND, he has his whole family there too. I saw his wife, and his youg 3-4 year old daughter there took picking through our bins.

The dude looks like a real winner too. I don't have the heart to say "quit going through our shit to feed your trailerpark family" either. Should I call the city of Gahanna? Should I even worry about it.

I could give two shits about recycling. My wife is the one who does it. We/she spends the time to take out the bins and such to the curb to recycle the cans properly, but this jackass is making money off of us.

He doesn't just do our house either. He's going house to house on our street picking through EVERY bin with his radio flyer wagon.

There's probably not much I can do other than just deal with it, but I just wanted to ask :).

watch what you say it can be you one day down on your luck. an he can be you.that good He;s not breaking in your house.

Who cares? It's all being recycled, isn't that the main idea?

I remember someone around here posted something that is you added in the time and effort it takes to pick up a penny and you did it full-time you'd make $12 an hour. Ever since then I've picked up all spare change I've ever noticed, it all goes in my son's piggy bank. I think this is basically the same idea.

I'll play Devil's Advocate for a second... we let a guy who gave us a sad story take a lot of scrap metal from Dad's shop quite a few years ago. After a couple weeks of him taking 'junk' metal, some of our 'good' parts, pieces, and cores started coming up missing, along with a set of new tires I left outside our bay door for an hour. Guess who was stealing the good stuff?

Legally there is nothing you can do because once you put your trash out on the curb, its fair game for anyone to rummage or pick through.

Honestly, if hes not bothering anyone I would just leave him be. But if he starts leaving trash everywhere then I would try and do something about it.

Yeah but when you have a house car and I am sure many other possessions there is a ton more he could do than pick out cans. It takes so many cans to even get paper money so if NEEDS to do that then I don't see how he pays for his house.

Probably a penny pincher. "Look at all those cans going to waste when I can make $5."

It is possible he is a penny pincher. It is also possible he can not get a better paying job. Maybe he has a felony on his record.

I know some people who have a felony and have a shitty minimum wage job because that is all they can get. They panhandle for cash on top of that to make enough money to pay rent or food. Shit happens. You got to make your ends meet somehow.

Oh, I would not suggest giving anyone on the street money on a major holiday like christmas for example. One person I know did that in a real cold city and people would feel bad. Many people said they would give him $50 to get a hotel room for the night. He would take the money and praise them for it, walk around the block or to another block, then start begging again. And someone else would feel bad and do the same thing. Rinse and Repeat.

Is it right? Probably not... but to each his own.

How weird to see this thread.

I was bored at work tonight and watching the security cameras. Some dude out back came up to our door, took the lid off the trash can, and proceeded to remove some items that I couldn't decipher on the camera. I went out back to see what was up, but when I got to the door, he quickly went away--with a plastic bag full of cans.

Blonde dude, medium weight, about 5' 10. We talking about the same guy here?

I'd just leave him be. The reason I went out was to see what he was finding in our garbage... if there were some old donuts or something, I prolly would've asked for half (juuuust kidding)

Maybe he needs the extra income though?

How weird to see this thread.

I was bored at work tonight and watching the security cameras. Some dude out back came up to our door, took the lid off the trash can, and proceeded to remove some items that I couldn't decipher on the camera. I went out back to see what was up, but when I got to the door, he quickly went away--with a plastic bag full of cans.

Blonde dude, medium weight, about 5' 10. We talking about the same guy here?

I'd just leave him be. The reason I went out was to see what he was finding in our garbage... if there were some old donuts or something, I prolly would've asked for half (juuuust kidding)

Maybe he needs the extra income though?

Quite possibly. Pretty thin. he does have some tatoos on him. Looks like a typical dirty white boy trailer trash.

Where do you work?