Looking at an AWD DSM

Rally Pat

I still wish I had my talon to have fun with. My screenname is even from that car (who's name was Smokey).

The main thing to be cautious about is that you want to look for a car that was owned by someone that cared about it. As stupid as it sounds that usually means the difference between them fixing something small that will be a big problem later, and you don't want to inherit someone elses rat that will be nothing but problems. It doesn't have to be perfect, just not something that the previous owner didn't give a crap about....enough rambling from me for now.

I always liked the very true saying of. Cheap, Fast, Reliable....you can only have 2, so make your choice wisely.

I really cant add much to this over what others have said.

If you have money and expect to spend money on the car, then by all means go for it. They can be made fast with little over all mods.

They can also nickel and dime you to death.

I had a 3000gt and had nothing but problems with it. I will never own a 3si or dsm ever again. It was just to much hassle.

first off, at least in a dsm you dont have to pull the motor to accomplish fixing anything(sorry subaru owners :nono: ). dsms do break quite often (if you want a car that wont break buy a honda :lol: ) third, putting your money into a dsm is going to get you a lot more power than putting the same amount into the mr2. pat is able to fix the car himself so he wont be paying for labor

first off, at least in a dsm you dont have to pull the motor to accomplish fixing anything(sorry subaru owners :nono: ). dsms do break quite often (if you want a car that wont break buy a honda :lol: ) third, putting your money into a dsm is going to get you a lot more power than putting the same amount into the mr2. pat is able to fix the car himself so he wont be paying for labor

Speaking of DSM's breaking. Did you get your finish pulling the head/redoing timing? Marc had no idea what was going on. I just told him it was a DSM.

Pat, I wouldn't do it. Get a MKII MR2. You already know about the cars, and those are a riot (especially for autox!)

Speaking of DSM's breaking. Did you get your finish pulling the head/redoing timing? Marc had no idea what was going on. I just told him it was a DSM.

Pat, I wouldn't do it. Get a MKII MR2. You already know about the cars, and those are a riot (especially for autox!)

I dont know shit about MKII's.

I am onlyl going on my experience from my 3si. Honestly this is apples to oranges on comparison. My 3000gt was by far the hardest car to work on I have ever owned.

I do think the statement about both these kinds of cars nickel and diming people hold true. Well, it did for me any way.

theres a guy out on shull rd in new albany named don jordan that does A LOT of work on/with DSMs. im sure a few people here have dealt with him. i havent heard from him in a few years, but it seems like every summer (and maybe winter as well), he buys DSMs for cheap, fixes/replaces the motor, gets it back into good driveable condition, and sells them for a small profit

*IF* i was going to buy a 1g/2g dsm turbo, thats who i'd go to. hes always got somethin in his yard for sale

i bought my dsm off him. i paid a little more than what i wanted, but the car was very reliable for a dsm. i had very little problems with it, and probably put 35k miles on it in about 2 years. overall, he was very good to work with.