my winter project, cleaning and transmission swap

natedogg624

look what i've been riding with for 3 years:

1-15-09018.jpg

imagine the possibilities now with fresh oil and new springs/valves...

so much thanks to Reuben with 35motorsports.com! through the countless emails of questions he's always answered them thoroughly and put up with me with great customer service the whole time!

A+++ for him and his business

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i applied the gasket sealant today and torqued up the cases and am letting it sit til tomorrow. I think i did a good job of doing it, followed the manual as to where to apply the sealant, applied it to one side as per manual, made sure it didn't get too close to bearings, fingerpaint style, etc...

I looked inside at the mating surface and could see a very residual amount of sealant that oozed in, and i mean very small. is something to be concerned about? Also is there really any warning as to if there is a bearing going or would i find out after its too late?

engine is back together, mounted in frame:

DSCN1276.jpg

figured it would be easier to lower a light frame onto a heavy engine than moving the heavy engine down to the ground a lift via jack into the engine. less work on our end...

plus this way its easier to maneuver and lift down than it would have been with the bulky engine.

more pics from today:

my new setup

DSCN1290.jpg

carb's in, i had to take them off and put them back on twice tonight and will have to do it again before its all said and done

DSCN1292.jpg

i was running out of things to do... i saw my dremel and an idea.

DSCN1296.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

electric is a PITA

DSCN1298.jpg

redoing the clutch cover cuz i installed it with the cable end of the clutch arm facing the wrong direction

DSCN1299.jpg

Edited by natedogg624

finished putting everything together, man the headers were hard to get on!

primed it up like john and brennan suggested and she started right up :)

i haven't heard that song since mid november, it feels good.

many thanks to john (1fasttc) for helping me at my garage and basically making sure i was doing it right, as well as brennan for making me double check my work lol and anyone else who helped.

now the thing is to make sure i make it through the 100 mile test. after that im golden.

update:

got the suspension back today! wow what a job Reuben at 35motorsports.com in Indiana. I wish i had some before pics of how dirty it was... looks like a brand new suspension!

what i had done: .9 racetech springs plus a revalve up front

refresh and recharge in back.

you can also see my new clip ons and grips, no brake hooked up yet though just wanted the basics to get the back wheel running.

DSCN1316.jpg

swingarm and rear shock installed

DSCN1311.jpg

whoa is it really yellow? no seriously it was almost black when it left here. those black smudges are my finger prints. it was spotless when i picked it up

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

new grips and vortex clips ons. there was a ton of gunk or crap on my OEM clips ons, it was almost impossible to get it to snap back without serious free play. turns out someone prior put some grease on there trying to get it to be easier... FAIL. it really hurt me at mid oh because i wouldn't know exactly where the freeplay ended and throttle response began. this new setup is amazing, i have almost <~1mm of freeplay yet snaps back mmmm

only downside is i have to run the clip ons under the triple instead of the stock setup of over the clip ons. the difference in clip on height is about 5-7mm and they would stick up over the top of the forks.

DSCN1314.jpg

rear wheel hooked up, almost ready to fire!

DSCN1315.jpg

job well done by reuben

DSCN1317.jpg

Edited by natedogg624

where im at now:

DSCN1371.jpg

DSCN1372.jpg

checked all my torque specs on everything so far, finished up the rear tail section brake light/turn signal wiring.

just waiting on my kickstand bolts and new radiator hose i ordered.

i also have to clean the chain, rebleed the brakes, and find clear m/c brake line hose to replace my cracked one. i can't order a new one because i bought aftermarket clip ons and they are relocated under the triple and need a longer hose anyways. After that i have to reroute my throttle cables. The manual is retarded, says the cables needed to be routed between the frame and radiator. The cables bind up and its just frustrating... or maybe im the retard for following it... i dont know, but everything else was routed per manual and it looks a helluva lot better.

...holy shit man, this thread never ceases to amaze. Every time I read it, I wanna go take something apart. But then I remember that I'm grossly incompetent at doing that with anything other than computers and forget about it :p

im not done yet brennan lol.

but it wont be show bike clean, ill probably just go over everything with carb cleaner/simple green and spray it down.

yeah, no reason to go all out. we all know it's going to get dirty again real quick. i was just saying haha

o hell yes i have learned so much! Not only about my bike, but in bikes in general (at least the non EFI ones...)

Thanks IP and Harb for the compliments!

No worries about the rain, like i said this isn't going to be a show bike by any means.

Hopefully will get it out on the road by end of the week. Weather looks promising (here's to hoping...)

took the bike out today, even though i probably shouldn't have...

i don't have any front brakes (i do but no reservoir...) and coolant leaking. but i couldn't resist the urge, took it around the block and it was good.

new hose coming in on thursday and new brake setup coming in hopefully by saturday.

new brake setup:

new brembo clear hose and moto-r reservoir mount

DSCN1386.jpg

DSCN1387.jpg

wide view:

DSCN1388.jpg

reason i did this was because with the new clipons, the old reservoir mount would hit the clip on and be unable to correctly mount the reservoir. after contemplating what to do, even going to our local machine shop and creating my own, i opted to go with this setup. the moto-r mount is only 8 bucks and is easy to use (slips right on the end of the clip on with set screw).

the hardest part of this was getting the hose the right length. to short and it would kink, and not make that new angle, too long and it would hit the upper fairing mount. this is pretty much perfect.

only thing i have to do now is reroute those throttle cables, and fix the upper cowling. i somehow lost 4 screws that hold the fairing stay to the cowling itself, even though i never took it apart over winter :shrug weird.

and it was apparent when i went to ride with the upper cowling mounted that i need to reroute those cables, it would get caught and bind up against the stay to frame mount and prevent full turning capabilities as well as trigger some throttle.

Edited by natedogg624

i knew that question would come up.

no i do not have my front end lowered at all (well i do, its 1.5mm lower). stock OEM bars came above the triple. the new vortex clip ons i got are much taller and would stick out above the forks like a sore thumb, so I, along with a lot of other first gen r6ers, put them under the triple.

end result: the pic you see above, looks like its lowered, but its not at all.

Edited by natedogg624