Roll racing

V8 Beast

QFT... pistons can easily go bye bye form a roll, high RPM's can murder a block, etc

Results from a roll race....

I dont think people realize that long pulls in high gears are alot of strain and load on a motor...

http://playwithlinn.com/Images/Car%20related%20Pics/sam

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that your engine or mine?

Roll racing is popular, I think, because it's relatively convenient to do (i.e., you just drive out on a freeway and have at it) and you can do lots of it in a relatively brief amount of time. Also, as it's been said, roll racing largely reduces the driver factor (i.e., driver error), which makes it more appealing to people who aren't that comfortable drag racing or comfortable with their car.

Purists would contend, I think, that "true" street racing is dig racing, and I would be inclined to agree. Not that one is necessarily "better" than the other, at least in my perspective, they're just different.

I do both, and I've broken plenty of stuff doing both. It's an expensive fucking hobby, you know?

Central Ohio is comprised of the shittiest, nastiest, pot hole ridden stretches of asphalt. Long gone are days of industrial parkways, that hook better than most NHRA sanctioned tracks, gone are full quarter mile strips of road, that leave room for shut down. Highways are close, easy to get to, and late at night seldomly congested with the normal retardation the drives in rush hour. Last, but maybe most important, the fact it takes more driver ABILITY to drive a "quick" or "fast" car from a dead stop. More goes into play when going from Daddy Dig, where roll racing is easier to gain traction, more forgiving to those that miss gears, etc... Therefore most roll race because it's convinient. Amen.

Roll racing is easy until you get into the higher HP area. Getting the tires to hook at 60mph is not always easy. I dont have a lot of room to talk because I drive an auto. All I have to do is stomp the floor, hit a switch or two, and that's it. Manual drivers have a lot more work to do.

If you think about it roll racing has been around forever,just w/o the horn and side beside action. I loved it when a car would jump on your ass and try to pass,visa versa......and then bang its up in gear and the throttle was floored its how we still do it out here in the boonies! Just make sure your not trying to race a cop though :eek:

Guest Wunna Dig Race
1. People can roll race on any public roadway given the room.

2. Not quite as easy to pop a dig on 270 *depending on hours*

3. People have been impromptu roll racing on the highway since they were 16 :) not going to stop anytime soon.

we have got some good digs off on 270 around 2am lol

I'll RR but from 39mph, because at 40mph I can't tap into first gear :D she will light em up from there too which is cool I suppose :rolleyes: but then she is front wheel drive :o

Roll racing is easy until you get into the higher HP area. Getting the tires to hook at 60mph is not always easy. I dont have a lot of room to talk because I drive an auto. All I have to do is stomp the floor, hit a switch or two, and that's it. Manual drivers have a lot more work to do.

Central Ohio is comprised of the shittiest, nastiest, pot hole ridden stretches of asphalt. Long gone are days of industrial parkways, that hook better than most NHRA sanctioned tracks, gone are full quarter mile strips of road, that leave room for shut down. Highways are close, easy to get to, and late at night seldomly congested with the normal retardation the drives in rush hour. Last, but maybe most important, the fact it takes more driver ABILITY to drive a "quick" or "fast" car from a dead stop. More goes into play when going from Daddy Dig, where roll racing is easier to gain traction, more forgiving to those that miss gears, etc... Therefore most roll race because it's convinient. Amen.

Scott, that whole paragraph just made total sense.. so tell me who wrote it for you? lol

Yes.. yes we do! Then when these loud ass LS1 cars with open cut-outs are beside us, we have to hold one ear shift with the other arm and then try and grab the steering wheel while hoping the blood doesn't get on our shirts cause the Trans Am that just went flying 900 mph by us caused our ears to bleed. Oh wait.. I can't hear anything I drive two mustangs with SLP lol

Roll racing is much easier on drivetrain parts. I like having a car that handles great too. The people that bash roll racing are probably ones who can't compete. :)

If we all had red 93 Cobras that went 200 mph, I'd love to roll race too :-P

I prefer it because it's easy and convienient. I would say that it does drastically reduce the driver factor, but it doesn't eliminate it (eg. Linn). I also just don't care enough to build my car to run from a dig. The money is a huge factor, and those parts are pretty expensive for my car.

I prefer it because it's easy and convienient. I would say that it does drastically reduce the driver factor, but it doesn't eliminate it (eg. Linn). I also just don't care enough to build my car to run from a dig. The money is a huge factor, and those parts are pretty expensive for my car.

+1

Running a car out in top-end is much easier...unless your Zavier, then you should be driving an automatic...but getting the launch and cutting a good 60' takes some talent...most people i know struggle with this, they get it every now and then but it's not 100%

Guest GMoney

Roll racing almost completely eliminates the driver. Almost anyone can floor the car and shift gears. Thats why most people want to roll race at a certain mph cause thats were they can floor their car and it hooks.

Dig racing. Now finding that sweet spot on how many RPMs you need, how much to slip the clutch, and the proper car set up to launch at is were it get hard.

I have an AWD and still like to roll race just cause it so much easier on me the driver(and car).

I personally don't care either way. You want to dig; that's cool. You want to roll race; pick you're speed and lets roll with it. I personally don't give a shit if I win or lose. I'm just in it for the fun.

I will say that my car gets little to no traction even in stock form. My suspension upgrades will happen at the same time as the HP upgrades.

Roll racing almost completely eliminates the driver. Almost anyone can floor the car and shift gears. Thats why most people want to roll race at a certain mph cause thats were they can floor their car and it hooks.

Have to disagree. Not anyone can just floor it and shift gears. Again, I use Linn as an example. Even in roll racing a lot of times the driver decides the race.