240sx is finally painted

spoolin_s14

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/boostedchic/pre%20paint/IMG_1627.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/boostedchic/pre%20paint/IMG_1626.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/boostedchic/pre%20paint/IMG_1625.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/boostedchic/pre%20paint/IMG_1628.jpg

and yes it does look a little pink

No offense but I hope you didn't pay much for that paint job. Looks horrible.

Maybe a good wet sand can fix it but who knows.

Anywho, congrats on getting it painted. I can't say I wouldn't take a new, even not the greatest, paint job right now. :)

looks like the car was pulled into the sun too fast and hazed over . looks nice tho, good luck with it.

Doesnt happen like that. I pull them out in the sun all the time.

Looks to me (big if) if they wet sanded it, it wasnt buffed back up all the way. Would have to see it in person to know for sure.

This is the gloss you want...

http://a983.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/6/l_246a54ea2c9a76465d5a66b196a195f6.jpg

No shop bashing but what shop did you use and do you know what kind of clear they used?

sure did i did it my self still got to wet sand it and buff it yet but i have to brag alittle bit due to it being my first ever full paint job i'll get it looking good

about the hood i wanted to paint it but the wife said no and.....i have to live with her so i'll let her win this one

im on my first paint job also, i work at a local shop and know the feeling about painting your own stuff, im still learning i do basic prep stuff and more into engines , but im trying to learn the basic's of paint ..so congrats on doing it yourself, hope you get all the little bugs worked out with it.

Call andy to finish it after you go back and paint the hood. At least paint the edges of it so it looks like you ment to do it, not like a fat girl laid on your hood and you replaced it with that. It will look pretty good with just a little more work. You are very close to a real sharp car

Looks like it can turn out pretty decent, especially since you did it yourself. Better than i can probably do, I'm not patient enough. BTW, not bashing but is there another piece that goes on the doors by the body kit? I assume not, but the way it looks makes it look like there is a piece of moulding that came off. Again not bashing, just it has so much potential I would hate to see it swing towards the ricer side just for a body kit. Nice job though. I love those wheels on it by the way.

thanks guys for the nice comments, i'll probley paint the outer edges of the hood and leave the center carbon fiber but i ran out of paint so i figured i could just paint that later when i had some more cash saved up

steps for painting

removed body kit lights weatherstripping

sanded down car with 320 grit and a d.a.

filled 2 dents with duraglass then glazing putty

primed with sherwin willams dtm sealer primer(white color) really glossy

wet sand car down with 400grit(block)

used omni AU red fire base coat 4 coats

wet sand with 600(block)

5 coats of omniAU clear

7coats on the front end of car

reasembled car still got to wet sand and buff out the car but i've been busy

wet sanding plans

wet sand with 1500 then 2000 then 3000

buff with 3m ultimate (3000) rubbing compond to shine

like i said i'm very pleased with the turn out of the car since it was my first time painting. i kind of knew the basics of it but was lost when it came to gun adjustments and so forth. i know more about body work than i do painting

360iroc: does thatsound right for wetsanding or am i missing something?

Congrats for having the balls to try new things!!

You should never wetsand the basecoat and then just clear over it. If you have imperfections, you can wetsand the base till they are gone, then re-base them. But there is no need to scuff/sand in between the base an clear as long as you paint them within 24hrs. Skip the 3000 wetsand at the end, the paper is maddd expensive and not needed. You can easily buff out 1000 grit with the right pads/compounds. Do it soon!!! The softer the paint the easier.

Keep practicing.

360, doesnt it look like he just sprayed real light/too high pressure/too fast/didnt lay it out?? I used to to the same thing when I started painting.