snake owners help...snake wont eat

evan9381

got a ball python. had it since febuary...at this point, hes about 28" long.

from the time ive gotten him, i had him on a feeding schedule of once every 6-8 days. started him on mice because he was very small, but shortly after, i switched him to rats. no problems in that. he has been on rats for ~3 months or so.

recently i took him to captive born, and they told me i could switch from bigger small rats, to normal size medium rats. had him on mediums for 2-3 feedings.

its now been 4.5 weeks since he has eaten anything. i have tried medium rats, small rats, rats from different places, nothing works. the guys at captive born said he may be getting ready to shed (this is after he hadnt eaten for 2 weeks)...so i wait it out, no signs of shedding. no pink belly, cloudy eyes, nothing. when i put a rat in with him, he basically ignores it, and if the rat gets in his face, he backs up like hes scared.

so today i go to CBR and i tell him the situation. he suggests i try a smaller small rat. ive had this rat in here for a couple hours, and the snake will not touch it. i dont know why he's not eating. ive heard they can go months without eating, but i dont know why it would be so irregular all of the sudden

any ideas???

i really wouldn't worry about it right now. if he start to drop weight then you can worry a little. some snakes will just stop eating at certain times on the year. does he ever get good direct sunlight? even a screen in a open window can filter out vitamins and such from the sunlight.

no, he doesnt really get direct sunlight. for the whole time ive had him, he's been in the middle of my apartment, barely any sunlight hits it. i just moved him into the living room last night...theres a sliding glass door across the room from him, but i dont open the blinds much when the sun is out

so how often should i try to feed it? the pet shop by my apartment sometimes has rats in the size range he needs, but if they dont, i have to go up to CBR at morse/maize...i can return rats at the store by my house, but i dont think it will be worth it if i have to drive from blacklick to morse/maize to return a 3$ rat and come back a couple weeks later to try again.

the only problem i have with that is that the rats stink. having this snake ive realized, its not the snakes at the store that stink, its the f'in rats pissing and shitting

i have considered it though

The sunlight will help with regulating his daylight cycles. Not only that, it helps keep the snake healthy, happy, and active. You do have to be careful the sunlight doesn't cause the snakes enclosure to dramatically rise in temperature outside the snakes safe and natural temperature ranges. The sunlight can heat the cage up just like it does in your car on a hot day. Keep a eye on all your temp gauges. If you don't already you should have three in the snakes enclosure. one on each end (warm/cool). Also one in the middle.

About feeding... a every seven day feeding schedule is quite adequate. Even if he is not feeding you still need to offer on the same schedule. Also he may not be ready to shed. He may just be not feeding right now. Just always be sure to have CLEAN and FRESH water available for him in a bowl that allows him to easily COMPLETELY SUBMERGE himself. There is on the market various shed helpers. Generally a chemical you can dilute and spray with a common spray bottle onto him.

I have a ball python and two burmese, every once in a while one of them will go without eating but not for more then 1 week at a time. It could quite well be going through a slow shedding process, adiquate climate helps out in the shedding process. Here are my two suggestions for you, spray all the walls down daily with water to add some more humidity to the cage, or what I actually will do is put mine in the shower at least once a month. The shower really helps with the shedding. I usually get the water luke warm and turn them loose in there. They seam to love it, I can actually turn the shower on and the snakes will go to the shower on their own. I take it your freeding them frozen? You may try to switch to a live rat for a feeding, sometimes snakes are pretty picky.