Glass packs on a wrx?

thorne

Ok, I've been working on finishing the exhaust on the wrx. I had stock cat back. So tonight I went ahead and started my plans of the stright pipe. I cut the muffler off. Now it sounds pretty nice partial throttle and idle. But its DAMN LOUD when it hits boost. I don't mind it. But I am worried people around me will. I prefer not to piss off all the other drivers.

Right now Its just dumped right where the muffler used to be. I still have the resantor. But I can hear it on certin situions pop in the resantor. If I change that out to a glass pack would it help clean that up? or atleast sound less hollow ping when it happens. It usally happens in a rich condition . Like jumping off the throttle.

Over all it was benificial to just cut it out.

I'm now pushing between 16.8 and 17.2 psi max. Still running clean I will have some data logs tommorow morning but it all looked clean on the way hear.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus thorne, lol, why can't you just buy an exhaust made for the car? They sound badass and make a lot more power. If you can't afford an aftermarket one I'm sure you could find a cheap STI take off exhaust, which I bet is 2.5" or close, and will definitely improve power. Otherwise, take it up to Mad hatter with just a downpipe on the car and have them make a 2.5" or 3" exhaust back, shouldn't be more than $100. But they won't remove the cat....just an fyi.

Will glass packs make it quieter? lol - no. My car is pretty freakin loud and I was worried for about the first 2 months about getting picked up but I have been fine for over a year on my current set up. Maybe you could look into a bullet-type muffler? They work well on LS1s to calm the sound down a bit.

BTW, You need to get your exhaust system figured out and get that "Leilani tune" done. I met Leilani the other day and let her take my car for a spin. She can drive - don't count on her messing up.

Jesus thorne, lol, why can't you just buy an exhaust made for the car? They sound badass and make a lot more power. If you can't afford an aftermarket one I'm sure you could find a cheap STI take off exhaust, which I bet is 2.5" or close, and will definitely improve power. Otherwise, take it up to Mad hatter with just a downpipe on the car and have them make a 2.5" or 3" exhaust back, shouldn't be more than $100. But they won't remove the cat....just an fyi.

I DO NOT WANT A 4inch TIP COMING OUT OF MY CAR THATS WHY. Apparently you have no clue about my wrx, But I've already got a Up/Downpipe and catless that I bought for my car.

The issue I have is the tips I don't like the tips on the resonably priced ones. I'm not spending 1g on a pipe thats 6 foot long max to get Borla. That money could go for a new turbo which IPS just happens to have on there shelf right now. (Come on bonus check) . I'm going to experment with it a bit. First is going full straight pipe (Remove the resonator). If that takes the hollow ping sound out of the exhaust then I'm going to stick to that.

Go buy a 40 series flowmaster from jegs for like $30 or $50 and weld that bitch on there, you've gotta at least have as large of a tip as the exhaust. So you already have an aftermarket exhaust and you just dont like the tip? Go to vatozone and buy a tip for $5 and have it welded on. Or just have the exhaust pipe extended, so there is no "tip", it just ends?

No I've bottom half my exhaust. Up/Down pipe. That takes be to right about the middle of the car or a little further.

Then I wanted to get my next parts and everything i look at has a 4inch can. I don't really want that look. So atm I'm just trying to figure out how to proceed. I've got mufflers I bought from artin i just need to pick them up.

well what size is your downpipe? Are you against NOT having an exhaust tip? My mustang just had pipes sticking out the back,no tips, just 2.5" duals. You could put the muffler somewhere along the way and then just have the exhaust pipe end right under the bumper? Seriously, i've had a few cars done at mad hatter, they are cheap and gauruntee the work. Or, get online and buy some mandrel bends and a few straight pieces and throw it on in the garage.

I only need I think is 1 bend. I was doing the work myself just because it sounded like fun. I'm just trying to figure out what htings modify the sound in what way. I'm going to cut the resnator out and see if it removes the sound. If it does I'm going to run the 3inch pipe all the way back at that point.

My problem is having a 4inch pipe at the end of the car when my exhaust is 3inch. thats all

Thorne.... I'm running custom muffler delete pipes on my LGT. You should check em out at the next meet....

sweet. will do, let me know when your going to be out. For now I just wanna get the pipe to not be pointing at the top of my car.

glass packs make the raspy poping noise. i would of put high flowing cats and got rid of the resinators and put my mufflers on. that would of been a deep sounding car. i suggest u keep either a resinator or a cat otherwise it will just be loud. kinda like the firebirds