Glass packs on a wrx?

thorne

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thorne, I think you should go with 4" piping and since you have no cats you will need the 4" piping. I mean 2.5" exhaust is clearly not a big enough diameter to allow a massive 2.o Liter Flat four to breathe. Yeah a straight pipe that is loud as shit will never be annoying, for you or anyone around you. Nevermind that on NASIOC that dyno time has proven that a cat back nets you a whopping 10 HP and guess what with no cats you do lose back pressure, because of that you lose about 10-20 lb-ft of torque down low. Congrats on wanting to make your car just like a Honda. What is your screen name on NASIOC?

Nevermind that on NASIOC that dyno time has proven that a cat back nets you a whopping 10 HP and guess what with no cats you do lose back pressure, because of that you lose about 10-20 lb-ft of torque down low.

:lol: Yeah... the whole catback craze cracks me up.

I've got $75 into my delete pipes.... and there 316L stainless. ;)

sweet. will do, let me know when your going to be out. For now I just wanna get the pipe to not be pointing at the top of my car.

Thorne I'm using flowmaster 40 series mufflers, you can check them out when we race.

osickburn

Thorne, I think you should go with 4" piping and since you have no cats you will need the 4" piping. I mean 2.5" exhaust is clearly not a big enough diameter to allow a massive 2.o Liter Flat four to breathe. Yeah a straight pipe that is loud as shit will never be annoying, for you or anyone around you. Nevermind that on NASIOC that dyno time has proven that a cat back nets you a whopping 10 HP and guess what with no cats you do lose back pressure, because of that you lose about 10-20 lb-ft of torque down low. Congrats on wanting to make your car just like a Honda. What is your screen name on NASIOC?

Explain to me how I'm losing back pressure when there is a turbo sitting directly off of the exhaust manifold. My straight pipe setup is temp I've never been one to stick to a single exhaust setup. Also when I'm trying to prepare the car for the larger turbo I already have at IPS why would you not pickup every pony you can.

Cat back 10hp ok thats 10hp@the wheel according to the dynos. Thats close to 15-20 at the crank.

Also please explain to me why I picked up almost a full pound of boost by taking off just my muffler.

Basically, the mid pipe can also be considered a straight pipe. Straight pipes and turbochargers go hand in hand when making power. Since the mid pipe removes the third cat, we knew midrange power was going to make the difference. Just like the front pipe, the mid pipe was able to pick up plenty of power, ranging from 5 to 13 hp, while still able to produce an additional 2 hp at the peak. Torque levels were extremely high landing an additional 20 lb-ft of torque in comparison to our previous run.

That is from importtuner mag. Ya know what I got 20$ that says I put down within 3ft lbs of tq of the 218 I orginaly put down.

you can also look at Hooker Super Comp mufflers, they may look like a regular muffler but i can see threw them and i have a off set inlet and a center out. the center in/out you can see stright threw them too and only dropped a 406ci small block 1 horse on the dyno vs. open headers, thats impressive in my book so i put them on my camaro.

Thorne, I would bet you $20 bucks that you would make less torque with you rsetup than with a properly R&D'd exhaust. As Space Ghost mentioned, it had even been proven on Nabisco. Multiple times actually.

Oh Yea, FYI, boost != power.

Ok read the other thread here. It says opposite.

What would make you think that a boosted car need any back pressure? The turbo is the back pressure period. My statement is a Straight pipe with madrel bends will do better then any exhaust on the same car.

Since dont have a clean baseline dyno on the same tune i have the other dyno on its going to be hard. But I will post my dyno. Best I;'ve seen before is 228. Thats 8 more HP then Cobb claims on there stage2 setup.

it is true that the best exhaust for a turbo car is no exhaust. The turbo will provide plenty of backpressure until it's in boost and by that time it doesn't matter either way. However with a stock turbo car such as yours (which i'm assuming you still have the stock up pipe as well) the exhaust size won't matter much beyond 2.5 inches unless you're going to be upgrading your turbo and significantly increasing your airflow.

Why is it so hard for anyone to understand this?