Freaked out almost died of a heart attack last night!!

TTQ B4U

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad everyone is ok!

In our neighborhood we had several houses broken into, or attempts last weekend, including Thorne's parent's house, they live 2 houses down from me. Slashed screens in several houses and one truck broken into.

Well, the house between the 2 of us, at about 2am the 14yr old boy went down to the kitchen to get a drink of water. To his surprise someone was half way thru the kitchen window! The boy yelled, "What the hell are you doing!" and then ran upstairs to wake up his dad. The guy took off. I guess they had left the window unlocked. They cut the screens and then check to see if the window is locked.

My wife and I have a plan. We have a 1,000,000 Candle Watt spot light in her bed side table, a small aluminum bat in the corner on my side. If something goes down I grab the bat, roll over her (and hope I don't kill her in the process), she grabs the spotlight, I unlock the gun cabinet, grab the 500 which is loaded with a deer Slug then Buckshot then Slug etc. Meanwhile My Old English Bull Dog could hold them off while we prepare to make our way to the boys room which is on the other side of the house (we have a ranch style home). She spots and I shoot.

Bottom line is, you have to have a plan and have to practice! ADT can only help after it's too late.

After what happen last weekend I thought of the potential consequences of firing the shotgun. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are 10 feet apart. Where is that slug or buckshot going to stop? My neighbors house? My son's bedroom? So come to find out they make shells that are loaded with cork. The cork will not go through multiple walls but is strong enough to break someone's arm, so I'm going to pick some up.

Glad everyone is ok!

In our neighborhood we had several houses broken into, or attempts last weekend, including Thorne's parent's house, they live 2 houses down from me. Slashed screens in several houses and one truck broken into.

Well, the house between the 2 of us, at about 2am the 14yr old boy went down to the kitchen to get a drink of water. To his surprise someone was half way thru the kitchen window! The boy yelled, "What the hell are you doing!" and then ran upstairs to wake up his dad. The guy took off. I guess they had left the window unlocked. They cut the screens and then check to see if the window is locked.

My wife and I have a plan. We have a 1,000,000 Candle Watt spot light in her bed side table, a small aluminum bat in the corner on my side. If something goes down I grab the bat, roll over her (and hope I don't kill her in the process), she grabs the spotlight, I unlock the gun cabinet, grab the 500 which is loaded with a deer Slug then Buckshot then Slug etc. Meanwhile My Old English Bull Dog could hold them off while we prepare to make our way to the boys room which is on the other side of the house (we have a ranch style home). She spots and I shoot.

Bottom line is, you have to have a plan and have to practice! ADT can only help after it's too late.

After what happen last weekend I thought of the potential consequences of firing the shotgun. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are 10 feet apart. Where is that slug or buckshot going to stop? My neighbors house? My son's bedroom? So come to find out they make shells that are loaded with cork. The cork will not go through multiple walls but is strong enough to break someone's arm, so I'm going to pick some up.

You don't need more than 6 shot in close quarters such as a house. If you get high velocity 6 shot, they are going down...and the shot should bounce off the neighbors house and if it hit anyone outside the walls it would hurt like a pellet gun pumped lots

My suggestion in .45 ACP

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/springfield/spr_xd_4_black.jpg

You dont think thats a bit much for a beginner? I've gone shooting with some friends before but never grew up around guns and we weren't a very 'gun friendly' family either.

So come to find out they make shells that are loaded with cork. The cork will not go through multiple walls but is strong enough to break someone's arm, so I'm going to pick some up.

Thats a really good idea but I wouldn't want to be facing an armed intruder with a cork bullet. You'd have to shoot them in the head to put them down. I've noticed people use shotgun's for home defense but why not something smaller that wouldn't neccessarily penetrate numerous walls? Im a gun newb btw.

Glad to hear it was a false alarm. I've been through a break in and know what it's like so I know that feeling. Sounds like you have a good plan in place to keep the family safe and that's good planning so your ready for the real thing(though hopefully it never happens to you).

Is the surefire light the one that comes on when you pump it? I need a light for my mossberg 500 Mariner

I have seen a set up that has that. However, I believe there is some wiring involved. I know this isn't much help.

BTW, Surefire flash lights saved me from having to shoot my rifle many times while in Iraq. Though the situation in a home is completely different, it's still one of the items I have in reach at night.

Thats a really good idea but I wouldn't want to be facing an armed intruder with a cork bullet. You'd have to shoot them in the head to put them down. I've noticed people use shotgun's for home defense but why not something smaller that wouldn't neccessarily penetrate numerous walls? Im a gun newb btw.

Pistols have a higher velocity and would penetrate MORE walls than a shotgun, unless you are using a slug.

Like I said, you aren't supposed to use bigger than #6 shot, which has MORE than enough stopping power

Is the surefire light the one that comes on when you pump it? I need a light for my mossberg 500 Mariner

It's grip activated, not by simply pumping. It's a pressure activated switch, or you can turn it on constantly. For the $$$ it's well worth it, a 60+ lumien light with a shotgun barrel above it. No need to be caught in a situation without a gun. Not to mention that split second of utterly blinding someone, or something, gives you that time to pull or go back to safe.

BTW: I use Federal 00 Buck, 124 JHP 9mm, and I think 125 JHP .357 to name a few for "defense" purposes. FMJ rounds go in and out, that's why most won't drop like they should.

if you don't want use a real gun get a paintball gun and use small clay balls instead of paint it'll drop some one quick and is accurate enough at close range. if you want to use a shotgun you can get rubber pellets. rocksalt, rubber slugs, bean bags, etc all kinds of less lethal nasties out there you can drop some one with

for a funny story a few weeks ago I see a racoon on my back porch so I walk into the kitchen and grab a bigass knife off the rack walk over to the back door about to get homicidal on a racoon and yank the door open with knife at the ready to my very suprised girl who was in the process of letting herself in :) she also scared away the racoon so I didn't get to stab it :(

yeah, slugs are not good. I use bird shot. My nieghbor also loads his own and has a bunch loaded with a mix of rock salt and shot and :eek:

I don't think it really matters as I very, very highly doubt a burgler is going to stick around one bit if a SG gets discharged at him. :burn:

Glad everyone is ok!

So come to find out they make shells that are loaded with cork. The cork will not go through multiple walls but is strong enough to break someone's arm, so I'm going to pick some up.

Guest MyV6IsFast3r
You could almost sell that as a short story to someone. Good story, but sorry it happened, at least it wasn't someone breaking in, I would have started shooting if I heard that. Course I don't have any kids, just a dog that would have been well under the bed before I could even get to my 9mm lol.... Damn scardy beagle, my next dog will be a bit better trained, probably not rescued form the shelter, but someone had to do it :)

If your in town I'd say stay in your upstairs area, if you got kids otherwise stay in your bedroom and continue to listen for sounds if you have an alarm system. If you hear someone its probably a good idea to give vocal warning that if the door starts to open that they will be shot. Not much else you could do really if the police show up to fast its likely someone will get trigger happy and thats never good. I'd never trust the police running around in my house while I was armed.

If you live out in the country and theres no way the police could get there within the time it would take you to investigate your property I'd say comming down the stairs ready to fire would be the best course of action for your safety and everyones.

I wonder how many burglers are sent running into the night once the alarm goes off vs how many continue their assault. Might be good research for just this type of situation.

Evan

Guest drumer919
Glad everything was okay man, I hope I never have that happen to me, if for no other reason that when the cops did get there I dont think they'd be to happy with my choice of home defense weapons.

.45 ACP gives more of a "push" rather than the 9mm/.40 S&W snap. The springfield XD is a great firearm. I've got a 9mm XD, and I love it. (haven't gotten around to pickin up the .40 & .45ACP set) It's got an ambi slide release (both sides), smooth recoil, 1913 tac rail, round and chamber indicator telling you it's hot, not to mention grip safety and trigger safety. All in one nasty lil combo, it'll hold more than you'll ever need to shoot it. I suggest the 4 inch barrel, but 5 incher if you don't like recoil so much. You'll spend bout $540ish and another $200 if you want a sure fire tac light on the bottom. I like having options when it comes to personal safety, and other distasters ie.. End of world, Zombies, and other Al-Qaeda insurgents :D

You dont think thats a bit much for a beginner? I've gone shooting with some friends before but never grew up around guns and we weren't a very 'gun friendly' family either.

Having a gun is having a gun, there is no 'beginner' phase where you get to carry around a 'practice' gun to shoot 'practice' bad guys (unless you go to police academy or something similar).

The XD line is a very simple, very reliable, very easy to shoot weapon and IMO it's probably one of the best pistols you could use for home defense, for these reasons. This *doesn't* mean that you can just buy it, load it, and put it in the nightstand and wait for the bad guys. If you hope to be useful with any gun you will need to shoot it regularly, and if possible take some basic training classes such as the NRA pistol course (CCW permit prereq).

I owned the .45 compact version and it was very quick to become accurate with. The only downside to the gun is it's bulky, I sold mine and picked up a Beretta 9000 .40 which is a lot more practical for concealing.