check engine light

norrix420

My check engine light came on about four days ago so i went to advanced auto parts to have the code checked. the code came out to be P0446 EVAP emission control system Vent circuit malf. Well i'm not really sure what all this means so i took it to a toyota dealership and had them look at it. They told me that a certain part went bad and needed to be replaced. The name of that part is a Canister and the part number for that is 77740-20512. he told me is was not the biggest deal and that the car would be ok but the check engine light will be on forever so as long as i dont get that part replaced. the part cost is 308.72 and then ofcouse it will be more for labor and all that. I guess my question really is that would this be worth replacing? if so could i get this part any cheaper from somewhere else? The car is a 2000 celica GT-S with about 85000 miles on it and i'm wanting to keep the car untill it dies. he also told me that this part went bad because i always overfilled my gas tank. the part is near he gas tank and something to do with it but i'm not sure as to what. any information would be great.

I would replace it, although I would not go through a dealer. You can get better pricing elsewhere for sure. No, it won't kill your car, little things like that just bug me so I fix them.