5.0 and/or tire guys??

Stimmel1647545512

Just curious what the widest tire you can put on the rear of a 1988 mustang GT with 16inch stock style pony rims i heard 255 was too wide my buy friend just put 255s on her 17inch cobra R's and has the same car as me and it had plent of room?

Would a 275 fit in the rear of my car or whats the limit withOUT removing the quad shock?

Thanks

you can delete the quad shocks w/ a good set of u/l control arms, which I'm about to order. I've read of guys doing 295/50/15's on the back w/ the quad shock/mount gone, so I'd like to squeeze those back there.

yea im still trying to jam my hotchkis upper and lowers in there they arent fitting well with poly bushings but maybe ill try that.

lmk if you want some help sometime this week/weekend.I'm usually free after 6:30 or so during the week, maybe you can help me on something on my fox, i'll pm you my number... and yeah, 295's would kick ass

Guest Removed
i had 28x11.5x15 hoosier pros(the DOT ones), no quad, beat the inners in a tad, and rolled the outer lip.on a 8" wheel.the ET streets in the same size are smaller.

The problem isn't really with the quad shocks- it is the tailpipes... Lots of guys drop the quads completely when they get beefier upper and lower control arms.

I put 26 x 10 ET Drags on with the quad shocks flipped but my tailpipes hit hard- hence why I am looking for quieter mufflers that do not require tailpipes.

From what I have read- 275/40/17 is about the max you can run with 17 x 9 cobra r rims with flipped quads, tailpipes, and some inner fender clearance.

On 16 x 7 pony rims you really should run 235/50/16s as the max. I run 245/50/16s but as the rim is so narrow compared to the tire I doubt I am getting the proper footprint. They don't look weird but you should really only go one size above the 225 factory tires. When I bought my car the previous owner had mounted 265/60/16 tires, and while they somehow cleared, traction and handling was ridiculous. Just changing to my new tires made a huge difference in daily driver handling/traction. Down the road I may get some of those wider mavromont 17" pony rims for that factory sleeper look.

Bill is that with the quad shocks in the back?

And this is Andy brets friend witht he white mustang i need some parts of that parts car you have i think he gf does too..ill be in touch

Yes it is. I took the quads off long ago. The car was white now it is black. Let me know on the parts you need.