Fuel Tank Leak

RC51 John

:cry:

I seem to have run into a recurring issue on the 2000 and 2001 RC51.

I have a pinhole leak near the rear mounting bracket.

Has anyone here ever dealt with a tank leak.

I am scouring the Speedzilla Forums also.

Of course it is only gasoline.

:devil:

No, No bad. I need to fix it.

Definately not a great situation to be in. The best option is to find another gas tank for a decent price.

They sell rubber coating systems that you can do yourself for $40ish, or you can take your tank to Hendrick radiator service on Morse and they will do it (I can't remember the price though). The only down fall is that sometimes the rubber coating will cause issues with the vacuum vents in your tank.

I have not yet met anyone who will weld the tank, nor do I want to meet someone that does that on a regular basis.

There is a great product called por15. You empty the tank and then pour it in and kind of roll the tank around. It makes a new surface on the inside of the tank. I know three people who have used it and no complaints so far. :dunno:

Well the tank is off and I pulled the fuel pump out.

I can't see leak points, but I can feel 6 spot welds on the inside of the tank.

One of these could be the culprit.

Time to ponder my options and enjoy this gasoline buzz I have.

Thanks for all the good advise, except for

Ok this is what you do:

1. Fill the tank up all the way

2. Use a welder and seal that thing up.

3. kiss your ass good bye

Just and idea for you to try

:lol::lol::lol:

:thefinger::asshole:

:lol::lol:

what none of you guys have heard of welding on a gas tank with fuel in it ????

ok as i said [fuel in it} is ok. whats bad is the evaporated fuel in the top of the tank above the liquid... if you displace the vapor in the tank w something that dosent burn [exhaust fumes

from a car that is tuned correctly {ie not rich}] then the vapor coming out of the top of the tank cant burn while you are welding on the side back or front until it is well dispersed and

you weld up the hole .. just make sure the hose you run from the car to the filler hole in the tank to be welded wont melt... ie dont use moms gardenhose ... i have seen this done w my own eyes and it is possible but if not done correctly while cause a large noise followed by wimpering to the er .....any questions :D

what none of you guys have heard of welding on a gas tank with fuel in it ????

ok as i said [fuel in it} is ok. whats bad is the evaporated fuel in the top of the tank above the liquid... if you displace the vapor in the tank w something that dosent burn [exhaust fumes

from a car that is tuned correctly {ie not rich}] then the vapor coming out of the top of the tank cant burn while you are welding on the side back or front until it is well dispersed and

you weld up the hole .. just make sure the hose you run from the car to the filler hole in the tank to be welded wont melt... ie dont use moms gardenhose ... i have seen this done w my own eyes and it is possible but if not done correctly while cause a large noise followed by wimpering to the er .....any questions :D

True story. Gas won't ignite, it's the fumes. I've still always filled a tank with water before welding on it, myself.