95 Ponitiac Firebird issues??

Conesmasher

Ok gentleman, I need to utilize your collective knowledge and experience.

I have a family member who has a 95 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk convertable. This vehicle is 100% stock. While making intown(short distance) trips, upon return to the car, it will either not start or not fire upon all cylinders.

Is this a typical problem? Quick fix?

They have taken it into the dealership, but the dealership was unable to duplicate the problem. Someone made mention to them that they need an "in-line" fuel pump, but the only time I've ever used those was in an aftermarket situation and that was something totally different.

Any ideas????

Ignition control module. It's getting heat soaked.

The Opti would show up more around high-RPM misses at first 90% of the time and work it's way down to the lower RPMs, but usually doesn't cause a no-start condition.

Remove the coil bracket bolted to the block behind the intake ducting in front of the driver's side head and remove the control module, which the black rectangular thing. Clean the mounting points thoroughly, reapply a small film of dielectric grease, an see if that fixes it. MAKE SURE you have all of your grounding points down tight on the bracket as well and to the block. If this doesn't work, drop the $30 on a new module.

Step two (if the module doesn't do it): Replace the coil itself. Same bracket, similar procedure. $35 for an aftermarket unit from Jegs (LT1s like Accel or Mallory). Don't use MSD. You've been warned.

That was their first mistake. A fuel pump usually will not cause an intermittant no-start and random misfire issue. What does the documentation say, and what dealership?

They are so gonna get boned on the dropping of the gas tank procedure and the parts/labor, just to find out that's not the problem.

is it a firebird or a formula or TA? I think everyone is thinking that it's an LT1 and firebirds are v6's.... if it's the v6, what version? I had a buddy with a '95 v6 with the 3.4 litre in it.... he had a similar issue and it was the crank position sensor (or maybe it was the cam position sensor)