Merging onto the interstate

SPLN SUX

Isnt it common knowledge that the entry ramps to the interstate are for accelerating up to the speed of traffic BEFORE merging over?

I always thought this was a no brainer, but as it seems, the popular speed to go when merging into 65-70mph traffic, is about 48mph.

Discuss.

I like to get on the freeway at 28mph then make a b-line to the fast lane.

J/k...

If we did a poll of what area around cbus has the worst drivers I would have to say Dublin. If I see one more snob in a 60k car driving like god made the roads for them I'm going to blow fuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we did a poll of what area around cbus has the worst drivers I would have to say Dublin.

+1. If my lunch break is during "rush hour" I usually just skip it because there's no chance I'll get anywhere with all the dumb drivers.

Guest hotrodmama024
I like to get on the freeway at 28mph then make a b-line to the fast lane.

J/k...

If we did a poll of what area around cbus has the worst drivers I would have to say Dublin. If I see one more snob in a 60k car driving like god made the roads for them I'm going to blow fuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think an apartment complex called the Albany club rightof Steltzer and easton has the worst drivers. I have never once seen someone go in or go out that can drive at speed, or pull out into traffic correctly. I swear I need a big truck so i can run over all of them.

Guest Kidneyboy

Ah, this past week has been the best for this kind of action. Ive seen two good ones;

Old man in a 'Le car' [renault] insisting on getting in the fast lane on 71S for no reason.

And some jackass in a minivan flooring it to get around me on ackerman only to putz up the on ramp to 315N. Once i got a chance i popped around him and basically took up the space he was going for, to which i got the finger :[

Oh, and Dublins not so bad, try Upper Arlington any time of the day

I like the on ramp from Sawmill going North to 270 east. I try to take it as fast as I can with a little understeer and proceed to stay right for a mile and then merge. Everyone merges left at the bottom, I go around them and never slow down. :)

If I drive my Cavalier to work, 48mph is as fast as I can get it before I merge into traffic.

funny, but my parents used to have a '93 ford tempo, and this was totally true. my wife's '99 1.6 liter sentra is also dangerously slow merging.

As long as there is no yield sign, yes. The ramps onto 270 at Sawmill drive me crazy. There are yield signs on both of the ramps, yet people ignore them and just merge anyway. I don't slow down for those assholes. If they can't read and comprehend what a yield sign is, fuck 'em... :D

Guest 78novaman

This thread has made me LOL. I spent last weekend in Chicago -there are no slow on ramp drivers! Everyone is impatient there. I was driving 67 in the 55 zones and I was the slowest car on the road.

I believe it is in the ORC that any vehicle entering the freeway has to yield the right of way to vehicles on the freeway.

My least favorite exchange has to be I-71S to I-270E on the north side. People make me curse almost every time I pass through there.

This thread has made me LOL. I spent last weekend in Chicago -there are no slow on ramp drivers! Everyone is impatient there. I was driving 67 in the 55 zones and I was the slowest car on the road.

I believe it is in the ORC that any vehicle entering the freeway has to yield the right of way to vehicles on the freeway.

My least favorite exchange has to be I-71S to I-270E on the north side. People make me curse almost every time I pass through there.

we drove to chicago last year after work one night was 4 in the morning fair amount of traffic and everyone was going 85 + in a 55 mph zone.

Why drive in the slow lane unless you are about to get off the freeway, or there is somewhat heavy traffic? I love seeing 10 cars lined up in the slow lane blocking someone from getting on while the other 2 lanes are completely empty. :confused:

I like the classic "stop" then try and merge. Talk about getting in a pissed off mood. I think I've been behind at least a dozen folks that litterally stop or just about stop when trying to merge on freeways.

Shit ain't difficult, even being conservative you can go the speed limit plus 5 or 10mph and be safe to merge and coast back down to 65mph if that's your speed.....

Like others here, I'm usually above the limit by the time I'm half way down or when I'm being good, I usually am the limit plus 5mph. She's not the fastest ride out there, but I've yet to have any issues whatsoever merging even when the typical asshole tries to block me....good luck......she's still and LS motor and loves running on the highway.

I like the classic "stop" then try and merge. Talk about getting in a pissed off mood. I think I've been behind at least a dozen folks that litterally stop or just about stop when trying to merge on freeways.

Shit ain't difficult, even being conservative you can go the speed limit plus 5 or 10mph and be safe to merge and coast back down to 65mph if that's your speed.....

Like others here, I'm usually above the limit by the time I'm half way down or when I'm being good, I usually am the limit plus 5mph. She's not the fastest ride out there, but I've yet to have any issues whatsoever merging even when the typical asshole tries to block me....good luck......she's still and LS motor and loves running on the highway.

I had a fucker in a camary today slow down to 35 mph on the acceleration ramp when I was trying to get on 71. I had to lock my brakes up because they were way ahead of me at first and didn't have their brake lights on. So I get on 71 going 45. They the camary takes off is fast as it could. That is just so unsafe to merge on at a slow speed when there is heavy traffic.

:asshole:

I hate that too. There's nothing safe about trying to join 70+mph traffic at half the speed. Bunch of f'in morons out there think that "Slow = Safe". Idiots. It's differences in velocity that cause accidents.

I'll tell ya what's a dream though. Massachusetts commuter traffic. 75+mph in nearly bumper-to-bumper traffic. :) It's spontaneous mass precision driving.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have it good. You should come out to Utah for a day and drive. Like in Ohio they merge when they want onto the highway at usually slow speeds, but there is added bonuses to the exceptionally great drivers out here.

Turn signals out here are an option when purchasing the car, and it seems like no one has opted for them.

They make their own right hand turn lanes from the shoulders, regardless of if there is already a posted right hand turn lane or not.

They believe out here that no matter what the gap is between you and the car in front of you, if they are in the other lane, and turn on the turn signal to get between you and the car in front, that they automatically have the right to occupy that space. Though like I mentioned, turn signals are an option so it's rare they actually use them attempting squeeze their Suburban in a 20ft gap.

Left lane bandits are just rediculous out here, I thought they were bad in Ohio but jeez-o-weez are they worse out here.

I like to drive in the slow lane because it is anything but that. Everybody around here merges and gets in the far left lane while doing 10 under. Or if you are lucky someone is in the left lane doing 70 and they say to themselves " I'm doing 70 I am speeding I don't have to get out of the way". I drive the right lane because most of the freakin time it is empty, less chance getting a ticket also because they hardly ever target the right lane.

Utah....hmmm......any lonely old desserted roads :) My brother lives about 85 miles west of the outerbelt in Houston and commutes daily in his 911 Turbo. I road to the office with him for three days while we worked together and he would hope on the freeway and climb to 140mph and ride that pretty much to with 15 miles of the outskirts of the city or until traffic began to appear. Amazingly fun and talk about a time saver.

He's had her up above 170mph he said on the way home. Helps that he's very, very well known in his little dirt town as the police honestly don't care what he does since he supports them with big donations. Nice to be rich and in the sticks.

You guys have it good. You should come out to Utah for a day and drive. Like in Ohio they merge when they want onto the highway at usually slow speeds, but there is added bonuses to the exceptionally great drivers out here.

Turn signals out here are an option when purchasing the car, and it seems like no one has opted for them.

They make their own right hand turn lanes from the shoulders, regardless of if there is already a posted right hand turn lane or not.

They believe out here that no matter what the gap is between you and the car in front of you, if they are in the other lane, and turn on the turn signal to get between you and the car in front, that they automatically have the right to occupy that space. Though like I mentioned, turn signals are an option so it's rare they actually use them attempting squeeze their Suburban in a 20ft gap.

Left lane bandits are just rediculous out here, I thought they were bad in Ohio but jeez-o-weez are they worse out here.