Denny Dotson and 300zx

Martin

this thread is on the verge of going so many different ways it's awesome, so let me start off with the first hijack...Eric, what Kart are you building? Going to Circleville?

Back to the point at hand: I can understand that people would be upset if Denny Dotson were to take in a car with a known (and serious) problem, and then cover it up and sell it to an unsuspecting customer. I have yet to hear of this happening from them from a reputable (read: myself or someone VERY close to me) source.

However, we all know how things go with modified cars, and if the car was not checked out prior by the seller then some of the blame lies with them as well. The same thing would happen if you purchased the vehicle from a private party. I have never purchased a vehicle from them, so I do not know if they use their dealership as a selling point. (i.e. "we know these cars and have checked this one out"), but I'll let some rebuttals go into that point.

As for the profit issue, profit is only a bad word if you're on the wrong side of the transaction. I personally have no problem with any business making a profit off of me as long as I feel they earned it. Your friend did not have the market availability to sell his car quickly and needed money. Denny is an established dealer of modified cars so people look to him for these types of cars...hence he has a better market (and more time) to get more money from the car...NOTHING is wrong with that.

Yea because you think your getting a deal. All i was trying to accomplish in this thread is to let people know that this car is for sale. Like V8 Beast said they try to cover things up and I bet they will try to cover the clutch problem since you cant see the problem.

I might go up there to test drive it and ask whats wrong with the car. If they say exactly whats wrong they get a good word for being honest.

Its been a little while since I have driven it, but the clutch isnt a "problem" as it works fine for normal driving. Its just a stock clutch that isnt capable of holding if driven hard. The only other complication is that due to the tranny being much newer than the engine you have to get an Exedy unit that is around $1500-1600. But honestly its a bit like saying that it is a "problem" that the car only runs 8psi when there is no boost controller in it

Its a very cool car and incredibly unique. Is it 100% perfect as-is? No, but that has as much to do with body/paint as it does a clutch or boost controller.

Its worth wayyyy more than $9k IMO so I dont think their asking price is unfair at all.

Jeff

yea. it is a business and im aloud to talk trash if i want to which i realy havent. everyone here has a point and its a good point on each corner of the table but i just think its wrong to take advantage of someone and snag 6k from a car sales. I understand 2-3k but 6k is a lil drastic.

yea. it is a business and im aloud to talk trash if i want to which i realy havent. everyone here has a point and its a good point on each corner of the table but i just think its wrong to take advantage of someone and snag 6k from a car sales. I understand 2-3k but 6k is a lil drastic.

If your friend was willing to sell the car to them for $9000, then it is only his fault.

rofl. good luck in the "real world".

If your friend was willing to sell the car to them for $9000, then it is only his fault.

Seriously.

What you fucks don't realize is that a business is in business to make money, yes, but how do they do that? By being perceived to be the best at doing something. They wouldn't be in business if people didn't think they did a good job. That said, there are also a lot of people who think they do shitty business, and I'm one of them. Look at their feedback ratings on eBay. They have little negative feedback, but the way they respond to it is VERY unprofessional IMO. Instead of explaining in detail the problem that was encountered and that they AS THE BUSINESS tried to solve things, they immediately point fault towards the customers. That's bad business. Yeah, they're supposed to be making money, but they're also providing a service for customers; instead of responding to an unhappy potential customer by trying to solve a problem and keep the customer, they say "fuck you, we don't need your business" and go elsewhere. That is shitty management.

If they sold it a 15k, they make 30% on there money, less any overhead. You should see what drug industry does for mark-ups... 30% is not bad.

It is always easy to gripe about markup when you are on the customer side of the transaction. If you were them you would be thinking that 30% is not enough.

Not siding with Denny Dotson cause i dont like there practices. But they are in a car market that can be very up and down. They are taking a huge risk on buying that car. I bet they end up selling it for about 10-12k at the most unless someone absolutely loves it.

Guest GMoney
9k to 15k is about 167% profit.

anyways, they probably will not get 15k for it, as people like to haggle car prices. if they sell it for 12-13k, theyll make enough off it to pay someone for the month

167% You sir are incorrect. If that was true than anything less than 100% profit you would be makeing a loss. Do you need me to explain?

maybe 167% profit was not the right wording

if they bought it for $9,000, and IF they sell it for $15,000 , they are making back 100% of the money they paid for the car, plus 67% (6000/9000) of what they paid for the car

if you see it differently, please explain

alright lets say for a second that this kid that sold the 300zx sold the car because all he thought he could get for it was 9k because he doesnt know to take it to more then one place to get an apraisel.All I am saying is I think the price is to low. I dont care if its profit and business are suppose to make money. If you look at any of the stuff i sell i sell it pretty cheap because I dont want to get ripped off so I do the same for others.I just think Denny Dotson will get whats comming around to him.