mustang help

88lx5oh

01 mustang V6 3.8l automatic tranny

all the sudden it has a high idle on startup.. around 2k and holds for a minute or more. then drops only to maybe 1200 rpm

also when putting it in reverse it shifts hard.. i mean like a shift kit hard.

driving shifting between gears is normal no hard or sluggish feels.

just going form park to reverse it hits hard.

only thing done recently was filter change on the tranny.. did it myself, car is nearing 100k and figured it needed it.

had a little over fill, AZ recommended 5 quarts, didnt take that much though.

also changed the belt.

any ideas???

how many times have you changed the tranny fluid?

i vaguely remember reading something saying that if you wait long amounts of time to do fluid changes, that something with the gunk that builds up and will do more damage with new fluid

id have to search around to find out exactly what it was saying

high idle check for vacuum leaks first check all fittings into the intake and especially the pcv hose oil goes through them and right about the mileage to have em start rotting out. Listen for whistling under the hood at idle, if you cant pinpoint then get some starting fluid, carb/brake cleaner and spray around all the hoses and listen for the idle to raise or lower.

if no luck there you might have to get it to someone with a scanner so they can check the tps voltage. the hard shifts are from the high idle, fix that and your gear engagement will feel much better

i took the postive terminal off the battery.. let it sit.. then plugged it back in.. so far no high idle and no hard shift into reverse.

figured id try it for shits and giggles and it worked.

oh well i guess.. .see how it holds up in a few days, so far so good though