Moving violations

V8 Beast

This is a good read for the young ones out there.

Two-point violations

All moving violations except those pertaining to size limits and some speed offenses

Operating a motor vehicle in violation of a restriction imposed by the Registrar of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Speeding violations

Ohio’s point system for speed limit violations was revamped under SB 123. The new point system for speeding became effective January 1, 2004.

The new system replaces the sliding scale system that previously took a driver’s prior record and speed over the posted limits into consideration.

Under SB 123 a speeding violation may result in four points, two points or no points depending on the posted speed limit and the number of mph by which the speed limit was exceeded.

Exceeding a speed limit by 30 mph or more results in four points.

If the speed limit is 55 mph or more, exceeding the limit by more than 10 mph (11–29 mph over the limit) results in two points.

If the speed limit is less than 55 mph, exceeding the limit by more than 5 mph (6–29 mph over the limit) results in two points.

Exceeding any speed limit in an amount less than what is stated above results in no points.

Penalties...

A driver accumulating six points will receive a letter from the Registrar of Motor Vehicles indicating the following penalties should 12 or more points be accumulated within a two-year period:

Suspension of driving privileges for six months

Proof of financial responsibility must be filed with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and maintained for three years. Your insurance company will notify the BMV if, within the three-year monitoring period, your policy lapses, is nonrenewed or is terminated.

Upon completion of suspension, a remedial driving course approved by the Director of Public Safety must be taken. The course must include a minimum of 25% of its classroom hours devoted to instruction on driver attitude.

A new driving test must be taken

Driving under suspension

Operating a motor vehicle while a license is under suspension is a first-degree misdemeanor. If convicted, the driver is subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or six months in jail, or both. The violator may also be sentenced to an additional one-year drivers license suspension.

Four-point violations

Willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property (like going 30mph above the speed limit)

Six-point violations

Vehicular homicide

Operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol (OVI) and/or any drug of abuse

Failure to stop and disclose identity at the scene of a crash (Hit-Skip/Leaving scene)

Willingly fleeing or eluding a law enforcement officer

Racing

O

perating a motor vehicle without the consent of the owner

Operating a motor vehicle while your drivers license is under suspension or revocation

Using a motor vehicle in the commission of a felony, or committing any crime punishable as a felony under Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws

Two-point “credit”

A driver who accumulates more than five but no more than 11 points for traffic violations is eligible for a one-time, two-point credit by completing an approved remedial driving course.

The two-point “credit” offered through this program doesn’t erase any convictions from a person’s official driving record and doesn’t eliminate any prior convictions that an insurance company may take into consideration in premium assessments. All convictions remain on the driver’s record, but the points needed for the 12-point suspension are extended by two.

Just remember, nothing beats good ol' fashioned common sense.

Hah... you would THINK so.

Stopped an old guy the a while back... 19 DUS (driving under suspension) CONVICTIONS.... I guess it gets to the point where a jail time is like vacation from work to some people :)

Four-point violations

Willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property (like going 30mph above the speed limit & squeling tires)

Haha i had to studdy this one very closely.I still dont understand it because i never willfully did the act that i was accused of nor was it wanton. I suggest this should be a sticky since people wont ever think about looking on ohiobmv.

As long as there are judges who have their "own" way of doing things, there will always be loopholes. On my last (second) ticket, the judge told me that since I already took the class, I didn't have to take it again but he would still put me on the record as having took it again. Not sure if it did anything at that point because I was still under 18.

Just paying close attention on the freeway will help more then any radar detector (though they're nice to have too :) )

Is it bad if I already learned most of this...The hard way?

Exceeding a speed limit by 30 mph or more results in four points. If the speed limit is 55 mph or more, exceeding the limit by more than 10 mph (11–29 mph over the limit) results in two points.

Learned that one 3 years ago. I had to go to court is Washingto Court House

95mph in a 55mph...Construction. In my 95 Dodge Avenger...that car was freekin sweet. :lol: It took me 5 minutes to get that car up to 95mph, I wasn't about to slow down.

A driver accumulating six points will receive a letter from the Registrar of Motor Vehicles indicating the following penalties

Got one of those in the mail about 6 months ago.

Operating a motor vehicle while a license is under suspension is a first-degree misdemeanor. If convicted, the driver is subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or six months in jail, or both. The violator may also be sentenced to an additional one-year drivers license suspension.

I had a suspended license and got pulled over in Worthington. Had to go to court for that too. My license was suspended for not paying a seatbelt violation in Norwalk Ohio, then they mailed the notice to the wrong address. But the fucked up part was that I had paid them on time, they credited the amount to the wrong person. So not only did I have to pay the $135 fine for driving with a suspended license...That I should have never gotten and never got a notice for. But I also had to pay to get my license back $15.00. But I didn't have to take any classes.

True Story...I'm on my way to recovery...I have been ticket free for 9 months.

Guest Scooter
Hah... you would THINK so.

Stopped an old guy the a while back... 19 DUS (driving under suspension) CONVICTIONS.... I guess it gets to the point where a jail time is like vacation from work to some people :)

My roomie is CPD, and he was telling me that "they" caught a guy in his car in his DRIVEWAY with like 9 DUIs. I guess people don't learn.

So, you only get 6 points on your license for killing someone with your car? Sweet!

Just paying close attention on the freeway will help more then any radar detector (though they're nice to have too :) )

I like to have mine because when one goes by and maybe you missed seeing him it is nice to know that he wasn't clocking at that time because it never goes off. If you don't have one, then you have to watch you mirror and worry for a bit.

about 2 months ago i went to court for my 4th moving violation in less than a year,i got out of the court room with just paying a court fee (no pionts nothing on my record) because i was the only person out of 20 that had insurance

about 2 months ago i went to court for my 4th moving violation in less than a year,i got out of the court room with just paying a court fee (no pionts nothing on my record) because i was the only person out of 20 that had insurance

:funny: thats sad. Ive def found out theres loop holes.been to court 6 times and been convicted twice. Of course 3 of those times were re-scheduling but its kinda sad how we can get out of tickets. Im not complaining but if you use your knowledge and fight the system you can pretty much get out of anything as long as theres some hole to get through.One time a patty wagon pulled me over and said i was doing 90 and he guessed i was doing 90 because he speed up to me and then looked at his speed after i already slowed down. didnt have radar gone. he tried to play it off like he did though.

I like to have mine because when one goes by and maybe you missed seeing him it is nice to know that he wasn't clocking at that time because it never goes off. If you don't have one, then you have to watch you mirror and worry for a bit.

Passport FTW :)

correct. he just pays the fine.

IMO, 5-10mph over isn't much, but it depends on where.....35mph on a side street is a bit too fast. I won't break 31-32mph as if my kids were out there, I'd be pissed.

in 65mph zones I usually cruise at 72mph. Never been busted or even looked at. I just go back from D.C. and there were like 3 cars that went by me going easily 75mph as I was at 65mph on the nose on while on a phone call....they got nailed by a trooper shooting k-band from the center median. He didn't even flinch. I saw him look at the group too as my V1 had been beeping for miles and I kept and eye out for him. It was a pretty dead area traffic wise though.

So explain me this.

Say my buddy got busted in a 25 doing 30. What your saying is, since he did not exceed 5 mph, no points are asessed?

So my dad was parallel parked downtown and the meter was fed and everything, and he got a ticket for not having a front plate on his M3. It got dismissed when he took it to court. Is it cuz you can't get a ticket for not having a front plate if you're not driving?