Poison Ivy: fact vs. fiction

Nitrousbird

I'm not sure what is fact or fiction anymore.

Somehow I got it pretty bad. Normally if I get any, a little of the pink stuff for a couple days and I'm good to go.

This time, I got a little on my arm. Used some expensive poison ivy scrub, washed my hands regularly, tried not to touch or scratch it, put the clear stuff on it, and yet it has spread everywhere (behind my knees, on my waistband area, spots on my hands, on top of my wrists, and a little on my eyelid). Went to the doctor today, they went the steroid shot + pills route.

Now the doctor said that it's not contagious, and touching it won't spread to other parts of my body. She said it's a reaction to the oil getting in my system, and randomly causing rashes.

But things I've read/been told, say that it's oil in your skin, and scratching/touching other things makes it worse. I've heard from people I know that had great success with those poison ivy scrubs, as it "gets the oils out and goes away quickly." Others give the bleach recommendation (doctor stated against this, as it just irritates the skin). Then I've heard other say just getting the steroids is the best thing, but that's usually in severe cases. Since mine is getting worse, I decided the doctor was the best route.

So what is really true/false? IMO a lot of the online info is based on either home remedy tales, or companies trying to make a buck with their remedy.

I don't get it. I can take the leaves, rub it all over me, and it's like using bathroom tissue.

Sorry, I dunno what you mean :)

Had an employee tell me that one time. So we made a bet , he was to rub the poison ivy leaves on his arm if there was a reaction he was to buy me lunch and vise versa. Well after his doctor's appointment to get a shot and ointment :D he bought me lunch. He did not know what the poison ivy plant looked like , he thought it was something else. :)

I use to get it super bad also, always ending up going to the doctors and getting the shot and pills. now when i get it, I open the bumps up with a scotch pad and bleach it and it never spreads, ive had it 2 times this summer and took care of it early, just drys up.

Had an employee tell me that one time. So we made a bet , he was to rub the poison ivy leaves on his arm if there was a reaction he was to buy me lunch and vise versa. Well after his doctor appointment to get a shot and ointment :D he bought me lunch. He did not know what the poison ivy plant looked like , he thought it was something else. :)

Is that a bet? I need some landscaping done :D

I don't get it. I can take the leaves, rub it all over me, and it's like using bathroom tissue.

Sorry, I dunno what you mean :)

Me too, it's sweet. I was a lanscaper too, so, I was tested regularly.

I got it really bad at the beginning of the summer. Man it sucks! I tried the bleach in the tub. It did seem to dry it out, but didnt feel great. And I didnt use a ton if it... but I also used baking soda in the tub and soaked in that. That really helped with the itching, for quite a while anyways, and seemed to dry it out.

You can only get poison ivy from the plant or oils from the plant. Once you've washed it off completely and gotten the clothes taken care of you cant spread it to anyone else. I had it for a good week and my g/f never got it. She was in the same bed and there is no way she wouldnt have gotten it if it was contagious as she is allergic to it.

Good luck, Joey! I've never had the shot, but my sister did about the same time as me and it dried the stuff up pretty quick itself. Try the baking soda baths if you're still itching a lot.