Intercooler Sprayers?

Rally Pat

a buddy of mine picked up 30whp on the dyno with an NX intercooler sprayer kit. but its a costly way to go i think....

I more than likely would fabricate my own, maybe out of a paintball CO2 tank, and a pipe with holes drilled in it. (I like MacGyverism.)

The only time I've seen gains are when the intercooler is WAY undersized or the engine is ingesting some of the nitrous off the intercooler sprayer (most common). For water to work effectivly the intercooler would have to be hot enough to cause the water to transfer to vapor relativly quickly, otherwise you wont see much of a gain (it removes energy when its goes through a phase transfer) otherwise it wont take much heat out at all.

I forget who conducted a test, but i remember the results. N2O kits and CO2 kits both provide roughly the same cooling temperatures to the IC giving you some extra horsepower... but the N2O kits give you more and the CO2 kits can actully kill your power. Heres why:

It is unknown to most people just how much air is pulled into the motor at WOT and exactly where its coming from... but believe it or not it pulls air from several feet in every direction from that spiffy cone filter you run!

So what is happening is, the N20 is cooling down your IC, but naturally its displacing ambient air under the hood, and some of it is finding its way into the motor, giving you that extra bit of somehting. The C02 on the other hand, is doing the exact same thing, but when it enters your motor, it just bogs it down.

When this group of people decided to place a 15ft extension on the intake of thiere little honda civic and place the filter for it through a wall and into the next room... when both setups were used, the gains were almost identical.

So, if youre going to use N20, only use it while your running WOT, and be running on the rich side for that extra little bit thats going to make it into the motor. If youre going to run the C02, only do it at a dead stop, so that when youre ready to go full blast, your motor isnt trying to breathe it.

I've always heard using NOS as an intercooler sprayer is a waste. You might aswell just inject it right into the intake. You can piece together an intercooler water sprayer for relativly cheap using garden sprinkler conector's and hooking it up to your window washer power. I dont know how to do it but there is a DSM FAQ about it somewhere on how to do it, I think sport compact car did a small write up on it too. It cost like 7$ i think.

Steve do you have a power adder on your Marauder? I dont think it would really benefit an NA car.

I am leaning toward buying a windshield washer kit, and going with some alcohol/water mix. I see guys at autocross who just take a pump up garden sprayer and spray their intercoolers between runs, and I am leaning this way so I dont have to get out of the car, and if I am making freeway runs it will be handy too.

Why don't you hook your a/c vent up to your intake while you're at it. ;)

I'm bullshitting. Just for shits and giggles, one time my two roomates and I hooked up one of those big bug sprayers* with some extra line with vacuum hose and zip tied it to the aftermarket intercooler of his 1.8t. We filled it with alcohol (we needed more) and ice cold water. It was funny as hell watching someone pump like mad from the passenger seat. :D Ah, the things you do when you're bored. There are about a 100 easier ways to do it, but sometime you just gotta do what you gotta do cuz you wanna do it.

*See pic

http://img.products.howstuffworks.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/02/50/10/89/38801545.JPG

Why don't you hook your a/c vent up to your intake while you're at it. ;)

I'm bullshitting. Just for shits and giggles, one time my two roomates and I hooked up one of those big bug sprayers* with some extra line with vacuum hose and zip tied it to the aftermarket intercooler of his 1.8t. We filled it with alcohol (we needed more) and ice cold water. It was funny as hell watching someone pump like mad from the passenger seat. :D Ah, the things you do when you're bored. There are about a 100 easier ways to do it, but sometime you just gotta do what you gotta do cuz you wanna do it.

*See pic

http://img.products.howstuffworks.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/02/50/10/89/38801545.JPG

This is what I was referring to. The guys at the autocross use those to spray their IC's.

Guest GMoney

I see about a 5 to 7 degree intake temperature difference with my stock evo intercooler water sprayer. Whats that worth in HP? I don't know.

This thread did remind me to fill my spayer bottle.

I have one of those things. Its cool. 9$ at walmart. Does spraying the intercooler make that big of a differance? I was thinking of doing a meth injection but the guys on the boards seem to think its a bitch to tune for.

i would go with a methanol injection right after the intercooler in the charge pipe, you can use your windshield washer tank to hold the methanol and have it on a micro switch to where the pump only comes on at wide open throttle.................Mike

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/forum/

Guest Removed

meth injection is what i would look into

I would personally get a remote kit for a Co2 bottle and spray the intercooler by hand until there is ice on it before I go on runs.

the same can be done with a N2O bottle!!!

I would personally get a remote kit for a Co2 bottle and spray the intercooler by hand until there is ice on it before I go on runs.

You guys dont seem to get it, I am not going to be spending money on this little endeavor. This entire project is 10% money, 90% MacGyverism.

20 oz c02 - $15

Remote switch - $15

Refills - $1

:confused:

I forget who conducted a test, but i remember the results.

Kyle, Tony, and I tested intercooler chilling with gas jets on the dyno (Dynotune's) five years ago. As stated in Nate's post, unless you have the air filter FAR in front of the intercooler, the intake will ingest the gas.

pat there is a tech article on columbusdsm.com abouth this as far as spraying any gas co2 no2 on the intercooler I have heard it is a waste. It's based off the principle of metal and what happens when you bring the temps down that low, that fast. My basic understanding is... that when you spray the intercooler with gas it basically keeps heat inside and makes the outside of the metal cold. From dsm stuff, I have heard h2o is the best because when water contacts metal it disapates heat in the form of a gas... like steam which actually brings down temps, verses keeping the iats up and wasting good n2o that should be put in the intake. As far as most of the power gains from n2o I have heard alot n2o gets passed through the engine bay and gets sucked up in the intake. Me personally I am going to do the winshield washer mod were you add a aquarium valve to out going line and buy the garden sprayer nozzle and point it with the intercooler to get bigger spray area. The use of two nozzles can be done but I have read that makes droplets larger, making one as useful as 2. The only thing the sprayer should be used fore is to lower intake air temps and monitoring iat would prove the effectiveness of both. In my opinon though water is free aquarium valve is 5 bucks and nozzle is like 10, 6 feet of 5/16 vacoom is 4-5. So 20 dollars verses....for n20 or co2 setup. It 's cheap easy and if you have rear windshield washer you keep the front to clean the windows. Also comes stock on evos with computer to spray automatically so the engineers at mitsu felt it was worth it. Jus my 2 cents hope it helps :D

. Also comes stock on evos with computer to spray automatically so the engineers at mitsu felt it was worth it. Jus my 2 cents hope it helps :D

the engineers at mitsu also thought the 7 bolt was a better motor than the 6... haha just kidding mitsu engineering ftw. h2o sprayer is a very great and cheap idea