95 Contour TCS issues

Ziggy1647545504

Alright, here's a little background. Last April, I hit a deer with my 95 Contour SE. The damage wasn't too bad, but the car was totaled anyway because, frankly it wasn't worth too much. I elected to retain the salvage on the car and took it home. It sat in my driveway untouched until last weekend when I finally got it together and bought the parts I needed to get it through the OSP inspection to get the rebuilt salvage title. I got the parts, got everything installed, and went to take it for a drive. This is where things get messed up. It would seem that since I drove it last (months ago) the Traction Control System module has locked up. Is there anything I can do to get it unlocked, or am I pretty well screwed on the deal? I'm not sure how it happened either, like I said, Sunday was the first time the car left the driveway since I bought my Camaro. I have gone out to start it a couple of times since the accident, but never went anywhere. Any ideas?

That's the thing... After I hit the deer, I drove the car home about 20-25 miles. The next day, I drove it in to work another 22 miles, then a few days later I drove it home again another 22 miles. The way the TCS module is set up, there is a cable from the pedal to the module, then inside the module, there is a series of cams and pullies and such, then a different cable from the module to the throttle body. The current issue I'm having is that no matter how hard you push the pedal / pull the cable, the cams inside the module are not conveying the movement to the throttle body. Now, I know that this is a relatively recent development, because when I started it a couple of weeks ago, the throttle pedal and throttlebody were moving normally. From what I understand, replacing the module isn't terribly difficult, but is very pricey at around $600 for the part. I think I'm going to gut the module to get it unlocked, but I'm not sure exactly how.

Checked the throttle body already, works fine. Traced the cable back to the TCS module, and worked it by hand, it is definately the issue. I might have to make another trip down to U Pull 'N Pay this weekend if I can't figure out how to get this thing unlocked. I suppose if push came to shove, I could replace the entire throttle cable with one for a non TCS car.

BTW, traction control doesn't work anyway, replaced the lt side axle with a non-abs part by mistake over a year ago. Haven't corrected that yet either.

This is probably why the TCS was locked up. Because it wasn't getting any readings from that wheel, it probably thought you were in a constant state of slipping. When your car is stationary, you would be able to apply throttle normally. But once you get moving, the TCS system would detect the mismatch in signals from the wheels and start trying to correct.

But yeah, I'd have gutted the motor in your case also. Unless you really liked TCS, it's best to just get rid of it. Only time I ever liked TCS was when I had just picked up my TA a long time ago. I wasn't expereinced in having so much power to the rears and nearly put it sideways in an intersection. The TCS saved my bacon. But after that, it was useless. In the snow it was worse than useless as it wouldnt' let the tired rotate enough t oburn down through the snow and get traction. It was always better to turn TCS off in the snow. Go fig.

I think after getting into it that it was simply a lack of use while the car was down waiting for parts that caused everything to lock up. The system pretty quickly recognized the lack of signal and disabled the TCS and ABS systems due to lack of signal. Doesn't matter now, it's broke for good! :rolleyes: