out with the slow 3.8 hello blown 3.8

Ryan218

The SC motor handles boost mighty well...my buddie was making 20 psi on a stock (rebuilt) bottom end in his motor with no issues before he sold it. Mine is probably making between 14 and 15 psi daily driven just fine.

Oh, I wasn't questioning if the motor could take it (they were built with forced induction in mind....right?) but more so the power gain (if any) from just upping the pressure. M90's aren't the most effecient blowers for running that kind of pressure.

You may want to snag a copy of Corky Bell's Forced Induction or Mark Warner's Street Turbocharging, they cover key concepts that you can grow and grow...

Just some two cents worth...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before you try to get 17lbs out of it you need to build up the internals. If your budy has some money see if he can get a 4.2 shortblock since you have the engine already out.then he will be able to beat gts

congrats on progress. its always easier to take the old engine out. not that easy to get the new one in, most of the time.

o yea get a new intercooler. the stock one kinda sucks

FYI..... Most fi cars from the factory have forged rods and low compression pistons. They ususally are not the greatest. Most will handle 250-500whp while some will handle 500-900whp (cobras, supras, skylines and so forth).

The intercooler/ heat exchanger as the intercooler is inside the blower/intake manifold housing on this car should be good to 250whp ( correct me if im wrong).

The m90 should handle 20psi just fine. Above 20psi you will probably overspin the blower. You might want to think about porting it so you can run a lower psi with the same hp.

Sweet build, good luck with the project.

Should and does are way two different things...

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/TurboMaps/M90flow.gif

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/TurboMaps/M90power.gif

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/TurboMaps/M90deltaT.gif

Picture what Delta T is at 21-22psi....

i said should because i wasnt to sure i figured it could go to maybe 23-25psi but i wouldnt try it.

I'm sure the blower could make that pressure in the manifold (ASSuming, stock cam,heads,exhaust) but it definetly won't make additional power with such an increase in air temp & drive loss.

Yeah, the bottom end on the 3.8 SC motor is very strong, you guys must not confuse this motor with the N/A 3.8. They can handle a lot of boost...that same guy that I mentioned having the 20 psi stock bottom end super couper also had another super coupe that had literally lifted the heads off of the block but the bottom end never gave in (that was at 25 psi)

Like I said, im getting almost 15 psi on a ported early style M90, drive it daily, beat on it nearly daily...and thats on a 150,000 mile bottom end...they were built for boost.

And the intercooler mounts next to the radiator....Ryan, even though the intercooler im selling you comes with a perma-cool fan on it, you might run into heat soak problems and may want to consider switching over to a double intercooler or even a front mount, granted that could get pricey but you gotta pay to play!

Sean McConaha.

you cant put a front mount a roots style blower, its a heat exchanger and you shouldnt get heat soak since its liquid cooled. Unless this set up is diff then everyother roots style blower i have seen.

Its not liquid cooled...and yes, you can put a front mount on this motor.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t56/imwithstupid016/100_2757.jpg

There's a picture of my motor back when it was stock...the tube that says "supercharged" is the top tube for the intercooler, the bottom tube is under that, you cant really see it though.

Thats the craziest set up i have ever seen. Proved me wrong i would like to see that set up in person.

Not proved wrong, just simply edumacated lol...yes, the set up is udderly insane...very cool car to see/hear...he's a great guy too...just so you know thats the fastest supercoupe around for the time being...who knows where they'll go next (i had the pleasure of seeing that 10.68 run...car sounds crazy as hell)

And just so you know, look at the dyno numbers at the bottom in the misc section...

dam i thought my car wieghed a lot. yea the built internals suggestion was comming from the knowledge i have about NA mustang motors. didnt think for a second that they are technicaly two dif motors. but still that intercooler sucks. well it sucks for the mustang setup if you keep the mustang radiator cause you have to mount the intercooler behind the radiator. if you have the tbird radiator then its not so bad but a front mount air to water would be so much better compared to the side ways mount.

Don't hold me on this...but im pretty sure it still has full interior so about 4000 pounds, not 100% positive on that.

Don't take this as slam on the car, but that horsepower/tq driving 2 tons dosen't add up to a 129mph trap.

MPII dyno numbers 459 rwhp 558 rwtq w/nitrous

Maybe he upped the shot?

Don't take this as slam on the car, but that horsepower/tq driving 2 tons dosen't add up to a 129mph trap.

Maybe he upped the shot?

these motors make crazy TQ numbers thats what gets him the times he dose.....

yeah i know shwan.... i think my buddy is selling the stang to his brother after we finish the swap...so he can keep his civic...

dam i thought my car wieghed a lot. yea the built internals suggestion was comming from the knowledge i have about NA mustang motors. didnt think for a second that they are technicaly two dif motors. but still that intercooler sucks. well it sucks for the mustang setup if you keep the mustang radiator cause you have to mount the intercooler behind the radiator. if you have the tbird radiator then its not so bad but a front mount air to water would be so much better compared to the side ways mount.

This comment and your before comments are why you should stick to receiving advice and not trying to give it.

Please explain why an air to water inter cooler benefits from being front mounted. The water does the cooling, not ambient air passing over the cooler's fins.

Eventually you'll understand that you really don't understand, and then you might get it, but probably not.

Maybe he upped the shot?

thats why i said

"Don't hold me on this...but im pretty sure it still has full interior so about 4000 pounds, not 100% positive on that."

I'll find out for sure for ya though.