Turbo Charging Cabrd' engines.

thorne

I've been trying to learn about turbo charging carbd motors. The biggest issue I keep hitting is how to manage the fuel/spark. This is sorta a tech question but I wanted some talk about how it works. and ideas.

My thoughts.

Seal box around the carbs

Larger jets.

Retard timing 5 degrees to start.

I've been reading allot about this I'm just hoping to get some ideas from the turbo guys on CR.

I am learning about this stuff right now. It is rather interesting. How they tune it, not there yet. I know about two different "style" though. Obviously the common one being the "turbo hat" way. That is when the forced induction system work the same as it does on an injected car. It goes through the piping through a "turbo hat" that sits ontop of the carb, and the air is forced through the carb mixing with fuel and goes into the plenum. The other is a "blow thru" carb. Atmospheric air comes into a "dummy intake manifold" goes thru a carb, then fuel and air mix and go thru a charge pipe that then leads to the turbo. Then, the turbo compresses air and fuel together then goes into another intake manifold.

I just learned this today, I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it.

Jackson

Ty's right, but what he described as "blow thru" is actually considered a "pull thru" setup.

In essence it's easy to think about if the carb is before the turbo, then the air is pulled through, if it's after the turbo, it's blown through...hence the names. Now if only tuning one of those systems was so easy ;)

On a bike, I've generally seen blow thru setups with carbs due to spacing restrictions, but anything is possible. Look up old turbo kits made by "Mr. Turbo" and you'll see some interesting stuff. Very hard to tune for the wide rev range that a bike sees though.

There are a few styles of carb setups that I know of. There are blow through and draw through. They are pretty self explanatory. The blow through is more popular. Monster Garage built a Turbo VW Beetle with a draw through turbo setup, where the carb was before the turbo. As for spark control, the MSD-5462 ignition box seems to be popluar. It has an adjustable boost retard.

Hope I at least got some of that information right...

you can do it draw thru or blow thru...deopending on horse power levels.

you can even mod a normal holley for light blow thru duty!

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=c9bc0fb8ae3249425d01085071e2b44f&board=13.0 basiclly lots of reading here for you to learnz....

http://www.csucarbs.com/ a company that can build you one..

if your for real call me and i can explain it in more detail