metal detecting.

boosted98gst

I just recently got in a weird hobby of metal detecting, I went out and bought a whites dfx metal detector, and go out on my spare time. I know this sounds like somthing old people do, but for some reason I like it. anyways I was just wondering maybe you guys/ gals know some places that might be worth searching, or maybe even have land that I can walk around on. I did not buy this thing to try to get rich or anything, im just really interested in old coins that I can collect.

t hanks for the space

jason

what have any of you found so far, that's interesting or valuable?

Ive yet to find anything special, just a few wheat pennys, and some old silver necklace thats broken, my friend on the other had has found some pre ww2 era army stuff in a yard in springfield.

anymore info on this place?

Look up Lake Hope State Park. It is a great, little known state park. I would suggest a hike out to Moonville and check out that area with your metal detector. I would be real interested to see what you find out there. Here is a link to my websites little write up on Moonville and some photos:

http://www.coruptghosts.com/moonville.html

I've just found some loose change around where people watch their kids baseball games. If work ever slows down, I want to make a couple of trips down into southern Ohio and hunt around a little - it's less hassle to heit the beaches after the season is over so you're not falling over people (or their kids aren't running over you).

Look up Lake Hope State Park. It is a great, little known state park. I would suggest a hike out to Moonville and check out that area with your metal detector. I would be real interested to see what you find out there. Here is a link to my websites little write up on Moonville and some photos:

http://www.coruptghosts.com/moonville.html

ive stayed at lake hope camp ground back in 2004 maybe I should make a trip back.

Also there's Moonville Tunnel near Lake hope. Its one of ohios Haunted sites so you never know what you might find that was dropped by a spooked visitor.

Evan

will look into, read about it early on the site, but not all will check out out later tonight. thanks

Just a big FYI on Moonville, do not try to go out after 11. The National park that Moonville it is located in "closes" at 11. The park ranger out there has been going out there and chasing people off shortly before 11 every night. This happened to me this past summer and to quite a few others this past year. I don't know if they will be dropping off patroling that area now that the camping season has died down, but I highly doubt it. You are free to go out during the day, but at 11, it closes.

If you are going to go down to do some metal detecting, make sure you go there this year. I spoke with a park ranger down there this year and they told me that Vinton county has purchased the old rail road line and will be paving it for a bike trail. They said there should be a new bridge across the stream by summer of next year. So of course this means many more people will be going out there and the chances of finding anything will drop. Also while down there, stop by the old Hope Furnance that is there. I doubt you will find much but it is cool to see. You should find a link to the write up to the Hope Furnance in the link I posted above.

I can see why people would be chased out at night. Its a pretty good drop from the tunnel to the creek and its rocky. Not a good place to try walking around safely.

I know of probably 7 total furnaces some of which are along the trails my 4x4 club runs. I've only seen hikers and site seers at a couple of the sites during our 4x4 runs. I'm sure the areas have been picked over by others over the last 160 years, but who knows what could still be hidden. I also know of some abandoned towns within the Wayne National Forest lands northeast of Marietta that could contain artifacts. I've only been to them a couple of times, but I do have the coords marked on my USGS maps. It would require a group of extremely modded 4x4's, hikers or ATV's to access them though. They have been abandoned since the Roosevelt days and his National Park polices just to give a date. The roads leading to them are still considered township rights of way and are legal to motorized traffic. Its just not recommended in a group of less than 5 4x4's for safety.

Evan