Anyone wanna talk healthcare?

Tractor

Good thread.... I go on vacation and miss the good stuff.

First of all, I hate when people think Dr.'s make too much money. In healthcare the civil and criminal exposure is enormous. Every day I go to work I have to worry about a whole branch of the government that their job is to put me in jail. That is right boys and girls... One of the GAO's Job is to investigate healthcare fraud. Now before you say...." well if you are not committing fraud you should not have anything to worry about", a health care provider can be accused and convicted of fraud for selecting the wrong level service code. For example, you do an exam on a patient and select a 99203 code for billing and it should have been a 99202 or a 99204....Fraud. The difference between these code are very minor and not well defined.

So how many others go to work everyday and wonder if the mail man will bring a certified letter saying you are going to be sued, or if the FBI will show up and take your computer and patient files for an honest mistake. When you go to work and face this stuff you should make what we do. Otherwise don't complain about 40 or 50 k per year at least you lively hood is not on the line.

I pay $623 dollars a month for my Families health care. Not many families can afford that per month, lucky I have it deducted before taxes. I got my monies worth this year though. I have surpassed 100k in bills, we have only had to pay about 1k of it because I have negotiated the prices and worked with my Ins company, but it has been a lot of hard work to do that. I have saved about 3-5K from coming out of my pocket in putting forth the effort.

FYI when I was kicked out of riverside, I couldn't walk and needed a wheelchair, I had to be transported, against my wishes I had to go to a nursing facility in Westerville, guess what that 15 min ride from Riverside to the Old Westerville mall was over $500! We disputed the money and made my Ins who denied coverage at first finally pay it.

yeah, the insurance companies will never do you any favors. you have to argue with them about EVERYTHING. its amazing what they WILL pay for once you start arguing.

As long as it is the patients that are arguing. If we argue, they ignore us.

Dont ever think your insurance cares about you. IMHO I think they would rather see you die than have a long term illness.

in all honesty the WV crisis was/is a sign of things to come. the OB/GYN's there could simply not afford to pay their malpractice insurance, and come out on top. simple solution--move to another state. that is one of the reasons why i will end up in wisconsin--great malpractice situation there, and still excellent reimbursement.

I hate to break it to you guys but the malpractice insurance "problem" is not the problem it is a symptom of an out of control medical system. I only pay 1400/yr for insurance. Stop giving people meds/surgeries that kill/harm people and insurance will go down. At the same time if people did not let themselves get in such bad condition, then they would not go to the M.D. for stuff that they could have prevented to begin with.

I hate to break it to you guys but the malpractice insurance "problem" is not the problem it is a symptom of an out of control medical system. I only pay 1400/yr for insurance. Stop giving people meds/surgeries that kill/harm people and insurance will go down. At the same time if people did not let themselves get in such bad condition, then they would not go to the M.D. for stuff that they could have prevented to begin with.

with reimbursement rates going down, surgeons, and doctors in general are more aggressive with their treatment plans--operating on patients they would not have in the past. we do total knee and hip replacements on morbidly obese patients that we would have told to take a hike in the past.

with reimbursement rates going down, surgeons, and doctors in general are more aggressive with their treatment plans--operating on patients they would not have in the past. we do total knee and hip replacements on morbidly obese patients that we would have told to take a hike in the past.

good point!