UAW, dumb as shit

Science Abuse

"Striking for job security"

You're striking, costing your nearly bankrupt employer $100 million a day, for job security? You want better and more costly benefits, and to get them you'll rob your employer of it's ability to provide them?

That's smrt.

That was my thought this morning watching the news as well!

Just to give you an idea of the mentality these people have, here's an article on the Canadian Auto Workers Union from earlier this summer. I quoted some of the 'best' parts. The UAW is just as fanatical, IMO.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=45c3959d-ec56-43b0-9180-2599f71b1589&k=84520

"I say to them, you better find a G** damn product for Windsor or we'll take all of the General Motors corporation down in September 2008. General Motors workers have earned the commitment, especially in Windsor."

"If there's a strike, it's the whole GM chain that's out, not just one plant."

-Buzz Hargrove

"General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters. At the end of the day, GM made a decision to put your jobs in jeopardy. Don't let General Motors divide our solidarity, because if they do, they win."

"This Windsor Transmission plant will be top on our agenda. It's going to be our objective to force General Motors to put a product in that plant. If they don't, then we'll take action. If it takes a strike in Canada to get their attention, that's exactly what we're going to be doing. The Windsor membership has the full support of GM members across the country."

-Chris Buckley

Perhaps they're not dumb. After all, no one else is the worled is going to pay them what they make now to do the shit they do. Who wouldn't bitch and moan and threaten people to keep that job?

This should be the end of every UAW negotiation:

"We'll give you what you want, but every last mutherfuckin one of you has to go out IMEDIATELY and buy a brand new GM product."

GM should just outsource all the parts and assembly to Honda and Toyota, two *successful*, *union-free* automakers in the US.

While it's easy in times like these, to say that the unions are completely to blame and if they didn't exist cars would be as cheap as toasters and the roads would all be paved with gold... The reality is that having large manufacturing (the kind that towns or cities are built around) without a union is just as bad has having it with a union in full control. Unions had a well-deserved place during the industrial era of the US, they protected worker's rights when the corporations did exert too much control over the labor market. Now, we get to see the flip-side of that, unions that overreach their power in the name of protecting workers, to the detriment of the company and the economy as a whole. What we need, IMO, is not to dissolve the unions, but to reduce their power to strike, fix wages, etc so that large companies can compete, but not have full run to screw over workers.

You're striking, costing your nearly bankrupt employer $100 million a day, for job security? You want better and more costly benefits, and to get them you'll rob your employer of it's ability to provide them?

That's smrt.

They'll be crying when their job gets moved to China. Stop striking retards and get back to work.

That's smrt.

+ 1

GM should just outsource all the parts and assembly to Honda and Toyota, two *successful*, *union-free* automakers in the US.

While it's easy in times like these, to say that the unions are completely to blame and if they didn't exist cars would be as cheap as toasters and the roads would all be paved with gold... The reality is that having large manufacturing (the kind that towns or cities are built around) without a union is just as bad has having it with a union in full control. Unions had a well-deserved place during the industrial era of the US, they protected worker's rights when the corporations did exert too much control over the labor market. Now, we get to see the flip-side of that, unions that overreach their power in the name of protecting workers, to the detriment of the company and the economy as a whole. What we need, IMO, is not to dissolve the unions, but to reduce their power to strike, fix wages, etc so that large companies can compete, but not have full run to screw over workers.

Isn't Honda in Marysville a union shop? I thought Toyota was too, but not sure.

And as for cars being cheaper without unions? I wouldn't expect them to change the prices of the cars, just the quality.

I don't know all that much about where the unions operate but I have been to the Marysville Honda plant and to a similar Toyota plant, and they were both UAW-free. In checking news articles it would seem that the unions only have support at plants in Canada.

Anyhow, cars are cheaper and/or higher quality without unions because employees are held INDIVIDUALLY accountable for their performance and for their financial security. When you buy a GM car, just as much money goes to the employee who built the car, as to a retired employee who is drawing benefits from the company (this statistic is paraphrased and may not be completely accurate).

Now, benefits are good and no way do I think that GM should neglect or abandon it's workers, but there needs to be a line between that and breaking the bank on benefits for retirees, family members, etc. because it is literally killing the native US automakers.

I'm pretty sure the Marysville Honda plant has UAW people around doing something. This ain't first hand knowledge though. I do know 100% that toyota didn't have any union workers. Its possible that some of the newer plants might though I haven't heard anything in several years.

Evan

I believe the only Japanese plant in the country that is unionized is the Chrysler/Mitsubishi plant (which builds Eclipses and Sebrings) in Normal, IL.

No North American Honda or Toyota plant is unionized.

Unions had their time and place, but they are outdated, IMO. All they do is protect the lazy American worker. Do a google search for "UAW job bank" and you will see just how outdated the UAW really is.

If we didn't have unions, especially in our past, this country would be a lot different.

How many of you like a 40 hour work week, like to get paid overtime and like to work in a safe work environment?

Please at least do some research on what a Union is for before hating them entirely.

If we didn't have unions, especially in our past, this country would be a lot different.

How many of you like a 40 hour work week, like to get paid overtime and like to work in a safe work environment?

Please at least do some research on what a Union is for before hating them entirely.

I did, I even looked into joining one. I put in bold the most important part of your post. Unions have change entirely since their inception. I won't dwell on organized crime, it doesn't apply everywhere. I also wont comment on skilled trade unions, personally I like the idea of elevators being installed by elevator people, etc.

But the UAW has outlived its usefullness, and is more a harm tot he collective common worker than anything else. Their actions now are going to be some of their last. Some day soon, they'll have to get their own jobs without inflated pay scales, so they may as well milk GM to death in the mean time, right?

That's smrt.

*Vader voice on*

Welcome to the dark side Luke.... It is your destiny!