Snap-On

Crossle

Did anyone on here do the snap-on student excellence program while you were in college? Or now for that matter? Just wondering if it is really worth doing, or what your experience with it was.....

http://buy1.snapon.com/sep/termsOfProgram.aspx

^This is the link if there is any other college students that are going into the auto tech end of the field and want discounted tools. Other companies do this as well in some way, but snap-on is who i am interested in.

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that is what this program is Rob, i get the 50-55% discount. I'm not sure how much in debt i want to get although this would be an investment for my future. I have never had an issue w/ snap-on stuff breaking so i know they will last.

Ryan how does matco do it? This looks like you get a box full of tools to use now and you pay it off while in school and whatever you don't pay off they take back....

I personally would go to Sears and pickup what you need in Craftsman stuff. Once you get into a shop you'll start breaking stuff. From there, either get it warrantied or pick something else up. I tend to like Mac tools more, for the price and the quality they just seem better. Also, once you get into a shop you'll realize a lot more what you need.

I personally would go to Sears and pickup what you need in Craftsman stuff. Once you get into a shop you'll start breaking stuff. From there, either get it warrantied or pick something else up. I tend to like Mac tools more, for the price and the quality they just seem better. Also, once you get into a shop you'll realize a lot more what you need.
\

Great piece of advice right there.

And yet doesn't have the tools to do it? Maybe I misunderstand the post. Seems to me, working in a shop you would already have accounts with all the tool guys and not need $7500 (if I read right) more in tools.

Ignore what's in green, my advice still stands.

Spend all your cash you can on snap on and matco tools while you have the discount. With the discount it's roughly the same as Craftsman. Nothing wrong with craftsman, but I know which I would rather have.

And don't be the idiot thats spends all his cash on a box and has none left for tools...

And the way my discount program worked I could get up to and over half off individual items from matco online. Snap On I have never dealt with because I feel they are overpriced, and iirc I would've needed to buy a set as opposed to buying individual matco tools I needed, which would defeat the purpose of the discount.

Your other option if you have no expendable cash is to just wait and buy Craftsman. Nothing wrong with that at all, and sometimes its less of a hassle to get broken shit replaced.

Yeah I got it through Wyotech. I didn't buy the tools because even with the 50% discount I could buy other tools cheaper that still have the lifetime warrenty. I did however use it to buy my tool boxes. Got $3000 worth of toolboxes for around 1600

Craftsmans.....Come on Hal we all know better

craftsman ftw. i don't work in a shop, but whatever you break, they take back no matter what. i've taken several ratchets back that belonged to my dad and were probably 30 yrs old. i've pounded plastic screwdrivers with a hammer, broken the handle, and had them replaced without question. specialty tools might be a different story, but within reason, a wrench is a wrench--

oddly enough we use some snap-on stuff in surgery, and it breaks just like anything else.

i love my 40" craftsman professional roll cart--it makes the sam's club one i have next to it look like shit.

it all depends on the tool and how much i plan on using it. i buy off all 4 truck's(snap-on, mac(if we still had one), matco, and cornwell)plus i shop at harbor frieght and sears.some of the truck's all have the same tool's(texton, lisle etc).like my cam bearing installer.i bought it from matco. my new lower control arm tool, was cheaper thru snap-on(150 compared too all the other trucks having it on sale for 199.99).

just price shop it. the more you spend on one truck, the better deals you get! and dont shop there website's prices are always higher!