Need car ideas...again

TheHaze

I'm going to be selling my Miata here soon and I'm looking for a car I can drive all year and still have fun. I'd prefer something AWD but FWD would would be okay depending on the car. Must have low mileage, 40k miles at most. I'd also prefer a newer car, 2003-up. It will have to be around $20k. Any ideas? I've been thinking of these:

-Mini Cooper

-Audi TT Quattro

-Civic Si Coupe

-Civic Si Sedan

-Civic Si Hatch

-WRX ( :confused: )

-Jeep

-Mazdaspeed (insert number here)

-GTI

-?

-?

HELP!!

WRX!!!!!! might even fight a sti I'm not sure what they cost right now.

Once you drive on in the snow there will be no other option then subby for you.

My 13 sec car can be driven year round.

you can get a new civic si for cheaper than 24k just look around.

very fun cars to drive, and very dependable.

acura rsx type s can be had for cheap and are a blast as well. but with a perk of luxory interior.

if you can find a newer style TL in your price range GET IT.

they hold there resale like crazy, very dependable, hid lights, sharp interior, fun quick little cars. if you drive one youll ove it.

When we were looking to get our rsx-s the other cars we were looking at which you might like are the neon srt-4 and the wrx. I could have had the neon for 20,000 out the door brand new. It was definitely a thrill and was my favorite but I am short and I had to move the seat forward and my knees hit the underside of the dash with the viper seat option and I liked the interior in the rsx better. I also didn't think it would be as reliable as the rsx as it had clutch chatter after my test drive. I wasn't a big fan of the wrx as I was used to the torque of a v8 and figured the turbo lag would get annoying. On my test drive I hammered it at a green light and it did nothing through the entire intersection, after the intersection however, hold on. All of these cars were in the 20s brand new. wrx was high 20s though.

That said even with the RSX-S we bought, I missed the rwd v8 so much I gave it to my wife and got a fox body that I drive in the rain and snow and runs low 12s. Thank you positraction. I only got stuck one time last year and that was because they didn't plow my street with 4-6" of snow- I almost made it.

So I was going to test out n Audi TT today and it was already sold... Instead, I tested out a Mini Cooper S and I must say, I was quite surprised at its response. The supercharger whined loudly and it was much quicker than I thought. I would have picked it up but the salesman couldn't answer all of my questions and wouldn't leeway on the price. I'm very tempted by Minis now. :eek:

If you liked the mini, go and drive the Audi TT. Same type of handling and speed, but AWD. TT's are a blast in the snow w/ proper tires of course. The TT is more reminiscent of a miata if you liked the miata a lot. I just don't like the lack of vision out of the TT.

Based on your list I'm assuming they are numbered in order of interest, and you don't necessarily need a car w/ a lot of space.

If you are hooked on the mini you won't want a honda

Check out the Mazda Speed 3 (hatch) w/ the 2.3 turbo, reviews are really good and you have owned a mazda before.

If you liked the mini, go and drive the Audi TT. Same type of handling and speed, but AWD. TT's are a blast in the snow w/ proper tires of course. The TT is more reminiscent of a miata if you liked the miata a lot. I just don't like the lack of vision out of the TT.

Based on your list I'm assuming they are numbered in order of interest, and you don't necessarily need a car w/ a lot of space.

If you are hooked on the mini you won't want a honda

Check out the Mazda Speed 3 (hatch) w/ the 2.3 turbo, reviews are really good and you have owned a mazda before.

Those were in order, kinda. I've actually been looking for a Mazdaspeed3 but my insurance company quoted me too much for it.

What TT are you talking of? The 3.2 or the 1.8t? I want a 3.2 but they're too expensive from what I've found. I'm also kind of driven away because I hear the electrical aspect of Audi is lacking.. :(

Funny that you mention this, my dad just traded in his Mazdaspeed Miata for a Mazdaspeed 3. He wanted something more practical in the winter (yea it's FWD, but still not cramped like the Miata). Previous to the Miata he owned a Mini Cooper S also, very nice and quick cars. They handle like they're on rails too. But for the price you can't beat the MS3. You can pick them up for around 23k or less for a brand new 2008 if you don't get the leather and other options package.

The MS3 was at the top of my list originally, but insurance would have been higher then what I'm already paying. But honestly, space isn't a factor, as I'd only have to drive 1 or 2 people maybe and I have many a friend with a truck or suv. I've just never needed a roomy car. Are there any MS3's previous to 2007?

1.8T, I haven't driven the 3.2. We have taken care of a customers TT since the warranty let up on it. He has not had any MAJOR electrical problems, but that is one car out of thousands. He does drive it daily through all seasons.

Have you checked insurance on a TT or a mini? I would think that they would be more expensive....Of course my rates are different than yours since i'm 19. 2 seat vs. 4 seat?

The MS3 was at the top of my list originally, but insurance would have been higher then what I'm already paying. But honestly, space isn't a factor, as I'd only have to drive 1 or 2 people maybe and I have many a friend with a truck or suv. I've just never needed a roomy car. Are there any MS3's previous to 2007?

I'm pretty sure that they were first introduced in 2007. A lot of reviews I've read have compared it with the GTI, and said that while it's interior quality obviously isn't as good as the VW, it's still pretty commendable for a Japanese car. And one of the magazines (Car and Driver maybe? can't remember) got a 0-60 time of like 5.4 seconds and a 14 second quarter mile time. For the money, the performance is awesome. I'm still not sold on the styling, but it's growing on me.

Of course you could consider the difference of driving a turbo car vs. a supercharged car in the snow? Even though we really don't get any to speak of, so maybe not? If you are interested in the "following" that comes w/ buying a car the mini following is HUGE.

1.8T, I haven't driven the 3.2. We have taken care of a customers TT since the warranty let up on it. He has not had any MAJOR electrical problems, but that is one car out of thousands. He does drive it daily through all seasons.

Have you checked insurance on a TT or a mini? I would think that they would be more expensive....Of course my rates are different than yours since i'm 19. 2 seat vs. 4 seat?

Yes I've checked insurance on a Mini, but not a TT yet. The electrical scared me away. A '06 Mini is less then what I'm paying now. A '07-'08 MS3 is more and I already hate paying this much. I'll have to check on the insurance tomorrow for a TT.

Of course you could consider the difference of driving a turbo car vs. a supercharged car in the snow? Even though we really don't get any to speak of, so maybe not? If you are interested in the "following" that comes w/ buying a car the mini following is HUGE.

I have limited experience with forced induction. Every car I've owned has a huge following. ;)

I still don't know what to do. :(

Well, thats all that I can think of. I'm young, so someone who owns one of the cars will step up hopefully. It just comes down to personal preference and monay.

On a side note changing an alternator on a SC mini is a BITCH. You have to pull the supercharger to get to it. I guess may be somthing to think about when it comes to DIY stuff. The mini's motor is really crammed in there.