Cannon Ball Run record broken

Tinman

From the story, last paragraph on page six..

But for now, the pilot and copilot can only stand with glasses of champagne undrunk. Too tired to know if they are even happy. Or to fully comprehend that their time, 31 hours and 4 minutes coast to coast, has beaten the record by a full hour and three minutes. Or that this record will surely be beaten, again, sometime, by some other drivers, most probably for reasons they won't understand, either.

Sick.... Anyone want to put a team together? i bet it can be done in around 29-29.5 hrs... Ive made from tampa fla to columbus in my srt-4 in 11 hrs 47 mins which is 1152 miles on the dot, and that was really just crusing at 80-90 with a few sustained high speed runs through georgia and kentucky. so i'd think that 2750 miles would be doable with 2 or 3 people and the right car. i dont however think that a m5 is the perfect choice for sustained high speed coast to coast, it was made for high end autobahn runs with plenty of gas station stops lol...

Sick.... Anyone want to put a team together? i bet it can be done in around 29-29.5 hrs... Ive made from tampa fla to columbus in my srt-4 in 11 hrs 47 mins which is 1152 miles on the dot, and that was really just crusing at 80-90 with a few sustained high speed runs through georgia and kentucky. so i'd think that 2750 miles would be doable with 2 or 3 people and the right car. i dont however think that a m5 is the perfect choice for sustained high speed coast to coast, it was made for high end autobahn runs with plenty of gas station stops lol...

It said they had a 20 gallon reserve tank so i think its a pretty good choice.

matt just like the record you were bea by 1hr. :)

Curses, foiled again :mad: You haven't seen the last of me :p

Another little tidbit on the CannonBall, Brock Yates, the organizer of said race and editor of Car and Driver magazine, won the 1971 race along with co-driver Dan Gurney in a Ferrari Daytona with a time of 35 hours 54 minutes. Dan Gurney deserves most of the credit.

i've done this as well in my old S4...although it was from Daytona, and i had to stop a couple times to let my dog go to the bathroom. we left the Sat eve. before Easter Sunday....during the night and early morning there wasn't a car on the road, or truck for that matter.

Holiday late night roadtrips ftw... lol.

I didn't see that they had added a second fuel cell. they had a nice setup for sure, but i still think a smaller, turbo'd 4-cyl performance car could be better for the persuit. Hell i bet an evo or sti or srt-4 with around 35-40 gallons of fuel could knock down 800-1000 miles between stops if the tuning is right... (thats20-25mpg)

You dont need a 500-600hp monster to run 130-170 mph comfortablely in any of these cars.

Holiday late night roadtrips ftw... lol.

I didn't see that they had added a second fuel cell. they had a nice setup for sure, but i still think a smaller, turbo'd 4-cyl performance car could be better for the persuit. Hell i bet an evo or sti or srt-4 with around 35-40 gallons of fuel could knock down 800-1000 miles between stops if the tuning is right... (thats20-25mpg)

You dont need a 500-600hp monster to run 130-170 mph comfortablely in any of these cars.

Running 160 sustained If possible...in a SRT-4 is nothing, (i repeat) Nothing like running 160 sustained in an M5.

Well having ran 160-170 sustained in one i will say its very possible, but i see your point, while the srt is spinning its heart out the bmw is just strating to work. However, as the srt is spinning right about 6200-6300 at 165ish in 5th, if you could increase the rev range with a built motor and cams, you'd give yourself another 1000-1500 rpm as cushion.

i'd say more along the lines of whatever car could cruise more economicly at 130 would be the best bet. you need to avg better then 95 mph to beat the record as it stands, so if you are rolling mid 100's the whole way, youre in there like swim wear :D

Guest extremedreamsjh
What route do they take? is there a specific one? I made it all the way from san jose ca down to la across the 40 and up the 71 to columbus ohio a little over 2600 miles and I did that in 30 nonstop. and to be honest I wasn't really flying except in arizona and arkanas I stayed goin about 115 to 125... everywhere else was about 75 to 80 it was in my VW corrado and I got aprox. 27-31 mpg for the whole trip...granted my motor is pretty much shot now it did it...

SRT-4 no way in hell I'm going to sustaine to speeds. The one I drove felt unsafe at 140ish.

M5/m3/S600/C32/C43/S4/A6/A8

Notice a trend here.

German all the gear he had to stop cops was insane. What is the trunk scanners?