Know of any good Subaru forums?

Guest FooFooMaru

Guest FooFooMaru

I'm looking to buy a wrx so I was wanting to get into some of the forums, look for a vehicle there and all that and get a jump on things.

Thanks for any help :)

Any comments on wrx's while i'm thinking of getting one? heh

Guest FooFooMaru
haha, any info you'd like to share that I'm going to end up researching? I like the idea of an sti but the cost is kinda killer so i'm thinking just a wrx but not really sure of them. don't know much about em. know more (which isn't saying much) about the sti's

I've been on http://www.nasioc.com/ lately as I just got another Subaru. Though, not specifically for racing. Anyway, http://www.nasioc.com/ seems to be a good site. I'll be checking out http://www.centralohiosubarus.com as well now that I know it's there, too.

local = groovy

Couple quick notes on the WRX:

If you can, get a 2006 or 2007. For 2006 they moved up to a 2.5L engine. The added displacement really helps with daily driving and gets you more bang for your modding buck.

The transmission doesn't take abuse well. If you're going to mod for power, or plan to drive it hard (drag racing/auto-x), budget for an upgrade. (Just to note, this is just for the 5-speed in the WRX, the 6-speed in the STI is an entirely different design and nigh bulletproof.)

In case you were thinking of picking up rims, the WRX still has the 5x100mm bolt pattern, whereas the STI from 05 and up went to a 5x114mm pattern. But STI hub/brake swaps are possible.

The WRX is a great car. Good power, great AWD system, plus Subaru's reliability and safety. Not to mention, the local Subaru community is great. If you do pick up a WRX, you've got to come to Hocking Hills with the COS group next year. It's a blast! There were a few WRXs there that were leaving my STI behind.

The above sites are a great source of information. NASIOC's community can be a bit.. abrasive.. at times. I used to spend a lot of time at ClubWRX.net and learned a lot. But I'd be happy to field any questions you have also. Feel free to PM me. You can also find me as Draco-REX on IWSTI.com and CentralOhioSubarus.com most often.

While looking for a WRX dont forget to look in the auto traders for ohio and the surrounding states. I found my silver 02 w/ 90k miles for 9 grand. It was some old guy that had and it was in great shape and stock down to the air filter. Every other car that was in that range was going for 12ish.

So good luck in your hunt. And take your time. 2 weeks prior to me getting the WRX I almost drove to NY to buy an RS for 8. One thousand more and I gots my WRX.

Now these prices may be off since my purchase was several months ago and prices may have dropped. I don't know, I quit looking after I got my second one.

foofoo If you look at any wrx and want to see if the car was running atleast sorta right I can datalog it for you if you let me know. You can see shit in the ecu to see what the car thinks of knock and see baseline if the boost is right.

Also I will gladly let you take my car out and play with it , Ask linn or anyone else who I've let drive It if you know how to drive as in not burn clutches or grind gears I dont give a shit how fast you go.

I bought my wrx (03) with 69K on it for 14k. I replaced the clutch as I knew from the day i got it , It would not stay stock.

Depend on your mechanical adept ness. you can go from 170@wheels(good for a mid-low 14) to low 13's for not much money.

Shit the night you get the car I could flash a stage 1 tune on it and you will smile big :). Now let me say now I so wish I had an sti. If I upgraded to an sti and used the same setup I got now I would be nicely in the 12's and the tq on the 2.5 is so much better.

Turbo for the wrx are not bad priced. You can pick up a take off sti turbo for anywhere between 250-500$. STi injectors for 250-400 . STI top mount ~200(or get a ebay one).

That combo + exhaust is in the 280HP Range.

I will say I love my wrx, out of all the cars I've owned its by far my fav, It pains me that i like it so much as I orginaly had planned on going back to a f-body next year.

Ohh yeah the motor as damn damn good, The 02 tranny sucks if your going to drag race but I've even seen guys with that tranny racing.

Hope you find a good scooob and if you want to drive one let me know, Tonight I could use a couple data logs and i like having a pilot for them.

Guest FooFooMaru
While looking for a WRX dont forget to look in the auto traders for ohio and the surrounding states. I found my silver 02 w/ 90k miles for 9 grand. It was some old guy that had and it was in great shape and stock down to the air filter. Every other car that was in that range was going for 12ish.

So good luck in your hunt. And take your time. 2 weeks prior to me getting the WRX I almost drove to NY to buy an RS for 8. One thousand more and I gots my WRX.

Now these prices may be off since my purchase was several months ago and prices may have dropped. I don't know, I quit looking after I got my second one.

Thanks, I'll be taking my time. I have 6 grand in hand right now of which 1k is going towards new bass set up and the rest will be put in savings. Once saturn sells i'll be getting serious with the hunt. Brother has a car he isn't using so i'll drive it until I get the next car. I hope I find something :)

Guest FooFooMaru
foofoo If you look at any wrx and want to see if the car was running atleast sorta right I can datalog it for you if you let me know. You can see shit in the ecu to see what the car thinks of knock and see baseline if the boost is right.

Also I will gladly let you take my car out and play with it , Ask linn or anyone else who I've let drive It if you know how to drive as in not burn clutches or grind gears I dont give a shit how fast you go.

I bought my wrx (03) with 69K on it for 14k. I replaced the clutch as I knew from the day i got it , It would not stay stock.

Depend on your mechanical adept ness. you can go from 170@wheels(good for a mid-low 14) to low 13's for not much money.

Shit the night you get the car I could flash a stage 1 tune on it and you will smile big :). Now let me say now I so wish I had an sti. If I upgraded to an sti and used the same setup I got now I would be nicely in the 12's and the tq on the 2.5 is so much better.

Turbo for the wrx are not bad priced. You can pick up a take off sti turbo for anywhere between 250-500$. STi injectors for 250-400 . STI top mount ~200(or get a ebay one).

That combo + exhaust is in the 280HP Range.

I will say I love my wrx, out of all the cars I've owned its by far my fav, It pains me that i like it so much as I orginaly had planned on going back to a f-body next year.

Ohh yeah the motor as damn damn good, The 02 tranny sucks if your going to drag race but I've even seen guys with that tranny racing.

Hope you find a good scooob and if you want to drive one let me know, Tonight I could use a couple data logs and i like having a pilot for them.

Thank your sir. I would love to get out and test drive some. I figured i'd just go to a dealer and drive several. I'm not shooting for a fast car, of course. But getting a tune or doing a small amount of work is fine for me. I don't plan on taking the car to a track or beating it up regularly.

I should have around 9-10k to spend but if I find something for a little more, I can make up the difference.

Appreciate the help and i'll keep you updated about anything that goes on and such. Any dealerships you'd recommend me going to if I test drive one that way?

Guest FooFooMaru
STi's can be had for pretty cheap. I remember seeing a 05 for 22k back at the begining of summer in auto trader.

Pretty cheap to you is definitely not cheap for me lol

"pretty cheap" for me is hmm, er, uh, about <10k

lol but that is impossible for sti's so i'm not looking for them ahha.

Pretty cheap to you is definitely not cheap for me lol

"pretty cheap" for me is hmm, er, uh, about <10k

lol but that is impossible for sti's so i'm not looking for them ahha.

22k for a car tht the market is still able to sell for 27k + to me is a good deal I understand it maybe out of your price range but still its a great price.

Guest FooFooMaru
22k for a car tht the market is still able to sell for 27k + to me is a good deal I understand it maybe out of your price range but still its a great price.

Yeah-understood. Just refering to my price range heh aka lowwww :)

ok, in 03 at a certin point that changed the tranny. A bug eye is exactly that. It has bug eyes, Similar to a 911. I actually don't have any pics of my car online or I would post 2 of them.

BTW, the motor is pretty damn bullet proof if properly taken care of. Stock air intake is good for 300+ horse. A ecu flash by itself is worth almost 30 HP. (I've got dyno proof)

Personally I love my Scooby, I wish it had a 2.5 but other then that what other Sport sedan can you drive year round that you can pickup as cheap as a wrx.

Yeah there VW's but They are not as quick.