Harley XR1200??

Casper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dweez was comparing the Busa powerplant to the HD powerplant. Apples and oranges by a long shot.

...(some other stuff)...

Buy what moves you. If big hp numbers are your thing then steer clear of HD. If spending $12k on an old technology Sportster is your thing then pull the trigger. If not' date=' buy a bullet proof, race proven Japanese sport bike for a 'moderate' amount of money. It's all relative.[/quote']

Agreed. :) It's just easier to "move" something with more horses.

Edited by JRMMiii

the way I see it... it matters not whats on the side of the tank, but whats under it.... and as long as you are on 2 wheels.... what difference does it make??? I ride with HD guys and metrics, I ride with cruisers and sportbikes.... it don't freakin matter what you ride it's how you ride that says alot about who you are....

+1

You've also rode with a guy on a scooter Chris ;), as a matter of fact I recall blowin your doors off @ around 90mph (if bikes HAD doors) :)

+1

You've also rode with a guy on a scooter Chris ;)' date=' as a matter of fact I recall blowin your doors off @ around 90mph (if bikes HAD doors) :)[/quote']

yea everything is faster then my heavy slow cruiser..... but I love my bike and it's super comfortable......

The problem with the HD's is 75% of the people who ride them are complete assholes and tarnish the image for the rest of the riders that aren't assholes. And those 75% would rather walk then ride wih someone on a sport bike. I've lost count of how many times I've waved to someone on a HD and the rider just snuffed it off like they were better cuz of the heap of shit they were on.

To add to this, the thing i find funny is that one, 85% plus of an HD is Japanese. Forks, electronics, etc... Two, most HD riders started their love affair with bikes on Japanese machines. For them to act like they don't want to associate with anything Japanese is stupid.

But, to each their own. I worked at a shop for over 6 years that was HD, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda. We had to split the stores because the HD guys wanted to walk in the HD side w/o passing the Japanese stuff... There was more to it, but it was one of the reasons...:rolleyes:

I guess so. The key factor here is it is a cruiser' date=' not a sport bike.

I don't ride a 1000 inline because I don't like rear tires busting loose mid corner on a street ride. (hell, I don't want it on the track) I'd rather have a bike that needs its neck rung than a bike that will break traction with a slight twist of the wrist.

Preference, that's all.[/quote']

Actually, it is more of a naked bike classed machine that goes up against the Super Duke 990 and related. That's the thing. Over in Europe, they are HUGE because they fit that class. They are NOT cruisers.

Yes, they handle. Yes, they can run well with an accomplished rider. Yes, they have low end grunt. BUT, what we were arguing against (My bike I used wasn't a porkly Busa, either) is that a guy is saying all this crap about torque and is siding solely on that to state the bike in terms of other machines. It starts and ends with torque for all these HD guys. It's the only thing they can win with.

There are MANY other issues with these machines. Vibration. That antique power plant vibrates like an old washing machine. Push rods are cool and neat, but to create a bike with mixing in somewhat newer technology seems to be an exercise in wasted time.

Again, the V-Rod is a cool bike. Why couldn't they use that powerplant and expand on it to create a cool naked bike similar to the Tuono R and the Super Duke R? I understand they won't do a sportbike because of Buell, but even Buell has realized that the HD based powerplant is not the best idea. So, they went to Rotax and did it right. Now, as early as late 2009 when Buell unvails their TRUE sportbike that is due to run against other sport V-Twin bikes, it won't be an HD based motor...

All I am saying is that yes, it stirs the soul of certain riders. There are MANY choices for the MANY different tastes of the MANY different riders in the world. But to speak as if this is a toe to toe machine with anything currently on the market and use torque as the sole basis of one's argument is insane...

Comfort is a matter of taste. I personally get VERY uncomfortable on cruisers and feel VERY comfortable on sportbikes. It's what I am used to. But, it is how I feel when I ride...

i feel the same way. i feel more comfy on sportbikes. and the cruisers i have rode they made me feel comfy with the sitting positions but i can never feel in tune with the bike.

Now, as early as late 2009 when Buell unvails their TRUE sportbike that is due to run against other sport V-Twin bikes, it won't be an HD based motor...

Wait, thread-hijacking time; Buell is doing another sportbike? A bike that's more of a 'true' sportbike than the 1125r/1125cr? I thought those two were pretty solid sportbikes (actually, I'd love to replace my 650 with an 1125r)...but they're doing another one?

IDK' date=' I'm afraid to see it. I think the power plant of the 1125 is sweet but I never thought they could make a bike uglier than the XB9R/12R. I guess I was wrong. The 1125 looks like an old Turbo Teen rerun. And they put the luggage on the wrong end. Duh!![/quote']

To each his own; I personally ~love~ that bike :leghump: Though, it's the only Buell I'd ever consider owning.

I'm a fan of the 1125 myself, because it's got the Rotax powerplant, and I saw one click off 10.70s at the drag strip with a shiddy rider on it. Keep it on the ground and it might hang with my short-shifting on the 'busa.

I also agree on the Turbo Teen styling of the R. I'd take the CR before the R model, but the CR has the parachute pants intake going on... unnecessary. Supposedly they're for "durability" i.e. when you drop the bike, you just replace those HUGE air ducts for pennies on the dollar. I like saving money, but style is style.

Wait, thread-hijacking time; Buell is doing another sportbike? A bike that's more of a 'true' sportbike than the 1125r/1125cr? I thought those two were pretty solid sportbikes (actually, I'd love to replace my 650 with an 1125r)...but they're doing another one?

The 1125R isn't a sportbike like say the KTM RC8 is. Buell is talking about shooting more towards that mark...

• 3 weeks later...