pros and cons to acid dipping/media blasting

351mach11647545510

Dipping will remove all of the paint, rust, seam sealer, undercoating,anything you dont remove from the car, the whole thing down to the metal. you will have to start over from square one, Even then, unless the shell is dipped into some sort of protective coating vat, the panels will be bare metal inside many places like the rockers and such. This will lead to corrosion every time the car is washed, and that is what you are trying to get rid of in the first place.

Media blasting isnt as invasive, but will strip all of the outside paint and bodywork as well. It usually leaves the seam sealer and other things that are harder to replace. Most of the pro shops seem to use Media blasting as their preferred method. If dipping is done, the car must be followed by the "E" coating to protect bare metal, as well as probably be dipped after the rust repair is complete to do a correct job. This is costly.

Dipping will remove all of the paint, rust, seam sealer, undercoating,anything you dont remove from the car, the whole thing down to the metal. you will have to start over from square one, Even then, unless the shell is dipped into some sort of protective coating vat, the panels will be bare metal inside many places like the rockers and such. This will lead to corrosion every time the car is washed, and that is what you are trying to get rid of in the first place.

Media blasting isnt as invasive, but will strip all of the outside paint and bodywork as well. It usually leaves the seam sealer and other things that are harder to replace. Most of the pro shops seem to use Media blasting as their preferred method. If dipping is done, the car must be followed by the "E" coating to protect bare metal, as well as probably be dipped after the rust repair is complete to do a correct job. This is costly.

part of the reason i want to possibly acid dip is because i want it down to bare metal to get at any places moisture might have effected things since there are alot of areas media/sand blasting cant get to.

about how much is media blasting for a full size car? what about some local places that do it?

Is the body panels that bad that it requires them to blasted? I put my car on a rotisserie and blasted the bottom, and engine bay. It was time consuming and every time a drive the car more sand comes out. You never get the sand or what ever media you use out of the car.

If you take it to someone be sure to ask what media they will be using and if it will cause any metal distorsion.

I wont sand/media blast a whole body of a car, you are going to have distortion on the body panels I have always chemically strip my cars and sand blast to remove rust. If are stripping a frame, sandblasting is the way to go. For an estimate, my shop charges $1 per a minute.