Anyone know anything about the 1989 Merkur XR4Ti Turbo's?

Bam

I've always had an eye for one, they're different but I think they're cool in the same way. Anyways, found one cheap around the corner and it seems to be in decent shape, anything to know about them? Are they easily modified?

They have the ford 2.3l turbo in them right? What power can you get out of one with stock turbo? How much can the motor handle?

thanks

I've always had an eye for one, they're different but I think they're cool in the same way. Anyways, found one cheap around the corner and it seems to be in decent shape, anything to know about them? Are they easily modified?

They have the ford 2.3l turbo in them right? What power can you get out of one with stock turbo? How much can the motor handle?

thanks

Just be careful you don't wake up as a member of the opposite sex.

I know that the engine will do about 400 on stock internals. the weak spot in those engines are the cams. Ford always had problems with the 2.3 killing the cam lobe because of oiling problems. Tha issue may have been solved by the late 80's. Also... parts are so cheap it will make your head spin.

The stock turbos max out fairly quickly, and like Dr. Rick said, they can hit 400 on stock internals. They are stupid cheap to modify and find replacement parts for. Run a 4 cyl ranger roller cam and retard it a few degrees to get some good additional power.

This is a bastard car. Our family has owned 3 of them and if you need any interior/exterior parts good luck. Otherwise they are pretty fun and the engine stuff has been covered above.

We had a pair of red 87's. They were a ton of fun, one went to a kid that only drove turbo cars....he showed up in a white 944 turbo to pick the car up. He blew the clutch out of it that night street racing and that weekend it was in the back of pick and pull. The other one was someones "first car" and i haven't seen it since.

thanks

The motor isn't the weak point, the jank t-9 is the weak point. But T-5 swap parts are cheap and not as much of a pain in the ass on the 87 and later cars.

With the right supporting mods (LA3 &Big VAM, Injectors, intercooler, AFPR and an MBC 250ish maybe a little more is possible.

http://www.turboford.org is your friend

I really need to get out in the garage and do some work on mine.

Just stopping by to say thumbs up on the choice if you buy it. There are a few guys on here that can help ya out. (I included)

V8Kilr: Oiling issues were taken care of long before this car was built, but good post for backround knowledge.

The question isn't really what type of power can the engine make, it's at what point does stuff break and need upgraded.

The rod bolts need to be upgraded if you are shooting for anything above 350HP. Stock block/crank can take a hell of a beating. Head flows like a turd but can be opened up quit nicely along with the intakes.

Generally the turbo will start to get out of its efficiency range between 300-350HP as well, pending on setup.

With the XR4Ti you are really looking at replacing the tranny and rear end with stronger pieces before you really run into issues with the engine.

The 2.3T can make some nice power for a 4 banger for sure.