Hard drive addition...

TheHaze

I built a new pc a month or so ago and I just added my old hard drive. It's set as slave and my new one is the master but it says I don't have permission to access any of my music or files or anything. Any way to access that stuff from this pc? Godamnit. :confused:

It's because you have windows installed on the old drive. Most likely you are using a diff profile name on the newly installed Windows on the new drive, so that profile does not have access to the profile on the old drive. I suggest opening the PC, disconnect the new drive, make the old drive master, boot the PC. Partition the old drive to make a D:\, move all the crap you want to that partition. Make it slave again, plug in new drive, boot to that Windows, now you should have a C: D: E:, most likely all the crap you moved to the newly created partition will be on E:. Move it to C: and it's all on the new drive. Sounds complicated maybe, but easy to do. Or just get a copy of ERD Commander and move the shet!

It's because you have windows installed on the old drive. Most likely you are using a diff profile name on the newly installed Windows on the new drive, so that profile does not have access to the profile on the old drive. I suggest opening the PC, disconnect the new drive, make the old drive master, boot the PC. Partition the old drive to make a D:\, move all the crap you want to that partition. Make it slave again, plug in new drive, boot to that Windows, now you should have a C: D: E:, most likely all the crap you moved to the newly created partition will be on E:. Move it to C: and it's all on the new drive. Sounds complicated maybe, but easy to do. Or just get a copy of ERD Commander and move the shet!

That does not matter unless the profile on the old drive is password protected.

That does not matter unless the profile on the old drive is password protected.

What does not matter? It must be password protected, if it's telling him he has no access to it. If no password, any account could access the profile.

Dont listen to these guys they are telling you wrong....

go to search

Type in regedit

Then delete all entires int the registry editor.

That will fix it every time

J/K

try this ive had it happen to me and this is how i corrected it :

Ensure you are logged on to the computer as a local administrator to perform this task.

click "my compuer" and right click your drive and select "properties"

Select the "Security" tab and click the "Advanced" button.

Click the "Owner" tab

In the list you should see your administrator account, select it and tick the box that says "replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

click Ok and this should take a while to complete.

When done go to the permissions tab and "add" yourself to the list with appropriate permissions.

Tick the box that says "Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions" and click ok

if any boxes come up that I have not menitoned here, just read them carefully and the answer is usually logical.

This should give you back access to these folders

Ensure you are logged on to the computer as a local administrator to perform this task.

Click the "Owner" tab

In the list you should see your administrator account, select it and tick the box that says "replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

When done go to the permissions tab and "add" yourself to the list with appropriate permissions.

Tick the box that says "Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions" and click ok

if any boxes come up that I have not menitoned here, just read them carefully and the answer is usually logical.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

If you don't have these options, do this in Safe Mode and log in as Administrator.

Click the "Owner" tab

I had already done this before but there's still a problem. By doing that it gives me access to go into any of the old folders but none of the old files work. I can go back and change ownership of individual files and that works fine but I don't want to do that for thousands of files.