Another Interesting week 87 Vette Question for GM Service Reps

RS69

I have been busy for about 2 weeks(in process of purchasing another house), and the 87 vette started running like crap last week. I though it was the catalytic converter was plugged, so I removed it and noticed it was plugged, I then hollowed it out and replaced on the car. the car started and still ran like crap. I unplugged the battery to reset the computer, now it wont even start. I then pulled out the plugs and noticed the plugs are not wet, so I am assuming the fuel filter may need replaced. If the fuel filter doesnt fix it, the fuel pump can be replaced without dropping the tank. The most interesting part is when the catalytic converter was acting plugged, it didnt even throw an error code. Is that normal? If there a code thrown if the fuel pump is about to go out or fuel pressure is low?

I have been busy for about 2 weeks(in process of purchasing another house), and the 87 vette started running like crap last week. I though it was the catalytic converter was plugged, so I removed it and noticed it was plugged, I then hollowed it out and replaced on the car. the car started and still ran like crap. I unplugged the battery to reset the computer, now it wont even start. I then pulled out the plugs and noticed the plugs are not wet, so I am assuming the fuel filter may need replaced. If the fuel filter doesnt fix it, the fuel pump can be replaced without dropping the tank. The most interesting part is when the catalytic converter was acting plugged, it didnt even throw an error code. Is that normal? If there a code thrown if the fuel pump is about to go out or fuel pressure is low?

Rick, in 87 they had a very very low scale version of on board diagnostics (ODB)

Chances are, there is only one oxygen sesnor pre cat, and no sensor for aquiring fuel pressure. There would be no way to tell if the cat is not functioning correctly, or if the car has the correct fuel pressure.

Rick, in 87 they had a very very low scale version of on board diagnostics (ODB)

Chances are, there is only one oxygen sesnor pre cat, and no sensor for aquiring fuel pressure. There would be no way to tell if the cat is not functioning correctly, or if the car has the correct fuel pressure.

Ahh right.

You can check the pressure on the rear passenger side of the rail. The computer (OBD1) does monitor fuel pressure on this car. Unfortunitally its doesnt throw a code. Wouldnt that make our lifes a whole hell of a lot easier. I really dont think your cat was clogged to the point of bad idle. Id start at the rail and check pressure then lets go from there.

i don't know where you guys are comming up with the the ECM being able to monitor fuel pressure as there is no sensor for that.

87' did have a cold start injector though to help richin the A/F mixture.

fuel pressure is suposed to be 40.5-47 key on and 30.5-44 running, those cars were hard to start with low fuel pressure (ie. running fuel pressure) if the would start at all. you can try and use brake clean to get it started and if it will stay running then you have a low pressure problem.

good news for you is if you do need a pump you can get it from the top by taking off the fuel fill door and getting that way.

The car at least now starts. I believe I drained the battery too low and that was part of the problem. I was able to drive it and anything above 2k RPMs, causes misfires/coughs, etc. I am in process of getting a fuel pressure gauge this week and will let you guys now the results. I personally believe it is the fuel pump causing the problems. There is no sensor concerning fuel and still no codes are being reported. You are correct AJ, I believe the C4 vette is the only GM product that I dont have to drop the fuel tank to replace :).

Thanks,

Rick

You are correct AJ, I believe the C4 vette is the only GM product that I dont have to drop the fuel tank to replace :).

Thanks,

Rick

newer W bodys you can get the pump through the trunk. and trucks if you take the bed off lol.

I got my fuel pressure gauge yesterday and tried to start the car again and it wont start. I hooked up the gauge on the right rail and it showed 40 psi, so it is getting fuel. I pulled out the start plugs, and it has spark. I am running out of ideas. The car has 60000 miles on it and I changed the spark plugs and wires about 3000 miles ago. I didnt change the rotor and cap at that time(and heck it might be the original rotor/cap), so that is the next step. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I replaced the cap and rotor today and the car started. It still ran like crap, but this time I noticed the pre cats were glowing red. I spoke to a couple of other mechanics and this is a sign that the front cats are bad/plugged. My next step is talking to Stout's in Delaware about a custom dual exhaust to my existing mufflers or a high flow replacement section for the pre cats.

Guest 614Streets

You probably busted out 50 -60 dollors of rhodium and platinum out of that catylitic converter :(

WORD TO THE WISE. There is no such thing as a high flow or Hi performance catylitic converter. Last month I went to CATCO's certifing class for catylitic converters and learned there is absolutely no such thing as a hi performance catylitic conveter. It may say on the box hi performance , but even today you'll see the word hi flow exempt from boxes and packaging its now illegal to claim hi flow. THERE IS NO SUCH THING!