Torque Converter Install Q

KillJoy

I reinstalled my Trans the other day.

It looks as though I did not fully seat the TC when installing it.

After a drive of about 5 miles, fluid is pouring out of the Bell Housing.

The car still moves. Trans Temps never got above 180*.

Could I just reinstalled the TC PROPERLY, and be okay? Or did I fuck something else up too?

KillJoy

Typically if they do not seat it destroys the front pump in the trans on first startup. Thats why you ALWAYS check converter clearence to the flywheel, even if its the same trans/converter, though on 4r70w's it is very apparent when the converter isnt seated because you cannot get the transmission to sit flush against the block without pulling it in with bolts (which should never be done).

Rob

though on 4r70w's it is very apparent when the converter isnt seated because you cannot get the transmission to sit flush against the block without pulling it in with bolts (which should never be done).

Rob

Thanks. It seemed to sit flush w/o having to use the bolts. Also, the TC spun freely before connecting it to the Flexplate. The TC did pull just a hair closer to the FP when tightening the TC bolts.

Is there a way to tell if the Pump is damaged w/o disassemblying the Trans?

KillJoy

It sounds like you had it seated, could you have damaged the front seal? What converter are you using? If converter spun freely then it almost had to have been engaged. You want 3/16" to 1/8" of converter spacing.

You can remove the front pump and pull it apart, but it does take a tool to put it back together (just a large band to align the halves). If you are not comfortable with transmissions then I would suggest having a trans shop look at it, but it sounds more like you have a front seal issue, or a drain plug in the converter that got left out (though I would assume you have a PI multi-disk, and if you don't you should :D)

Guest crazylady
My car did this after 120k on it, turned out the front seal took a crap, and it made a groove in the converter. new seal ,bushing (of some sort) and a new converter, and it hasnt leaked in 30k since it was fixxed!