Starter Handgun For Wife

Drewhop

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the threadstarter:

For a starter gun, especially for a lady, there are some things to keep in mind.

First off, if she is completely inaccurate, she can be easily discouraged. This means you want to get something that doesn't have much recoil. Heavier guns minimize felt recoil, as the gun itself takes some of the shock. Small and/or lightweight guns (such as polymer and compacts) are harder on the hands and make it more likely to be off target. Larger calibers also add to the recoil. I would recommend nothing larger than a 9mm to start, .22LR would be ideal. This also makes it cheaper to shoot.

There are .22 revolvers out there, you can't get much more reliable than that. For a semi-auto, there's the Walther p22 (the older ones weren't so reliable, new ones are great). The Rugers are also suppose to be pretty good, but I don't have any experiance with them.

There are some .380's out there that are good, not super common though. Try out the Bersa Thunder for that caliber.

As for 9mm, there are a million semi-auto's out there. So long as you don't get something cheap like a hi-point you will probably be fine.

Now, there are a million different opinions on what is good. Mine is that the best gun is the one that is the most comfortable for YOU (or in this case your wife). Go to Blackwing and rent rent rent until she finds out what she likes best, and stick with it. Just try to stick with fullsize, she will do better with that than a compact.

• 1 month later...

Thread revival. I decided against the Glock after all. Nothing about it I didn't like, I simply found a different gun new, for what I was finding used Glocks for.

Springfield XD-40. Fired 55 rounds through it the day after I bought it and love the feel of it. I have previously fired an HK .40 a few days before and it sealed the deal with buying a .40 cal hand gun. Almost no 'felt' recoil on the HK, slightly more on the XD I bought, but after a few magazines I wasn't feeling it anymore.

Gun is freaking simple to take apart with really only 4 'serviceable' pieces. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing though.

Anyhow, for the first time really ever getting to 'know' a hand gun I was popping a 2 liter bottle from 40 yards. Misses were by mere inches, contributed to me still learning the feel for the gun.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/IMGP1316.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/IMGP1315.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/IMGP1314.jpg

Out here (Utah) Gunnies was out of 'cheaper' .40 ammo, and Cabela's has a %40 markup on all ammo over what you would find it elsewhere, so I was stuck to buying what WalMart had in stock the other day.

100ct 165grain Winchester. $21. Good enough for shooting at shit with.