Computer Help...

FormulaMatt

I have a problem with one of my computers, its my E-machine desktop. It has a 3.2GHz Intel Celeron, 1gig of Ram, with windows XP. Long story short, a car hit an electric pole and knocked out the power to my house. The computer was plugged into a surge protector. It turns on fine and loads windows fine, but once it gets logged on it is extremely slow. I can usually only get the task manager to open and it says the CPU is running at 100 percent. I tried the system restore disk but it freezes up when first loading. It shows a screen that says PC angel recovery system but never leaves that screen. It also freezes up when trying to go into safe mode. I thought it maybe fried the RAM so I replaced that but no luck. My next guess is the Processor. Any ideas?

Start, Run, "msconfig"

Go to the startup tab and uncheck everything. This is assuming you can get the machine to boot. If your machine is still getting taxed 100% then it could be a number of things. Finding a virus scanner that runs in dos wouldn't hurt as a last resort before replacing parts or formatting.