Question for lawyers

lawnman

How does a person get a power of attorney for a older family member ? The older family member will not agree to signing over power of attorney , but occasionaly looses grasp on reality. Maybe early signs of Alzheimers. Also I think this older family member knows this and will not go to the doctor to either confirm or deny .

Thanks for any help.

Contact the Franklin County Probate Court and tell them your situation (e.g., "We fear someone in our family - an older person that may have Alzheimer's - is incompetent"). (Unless the person you're referring to resides in Licking County, then you would contact the Licking County Probate Court.) The number to the Franklin County Probate Court is 614.462.3890.

If you need an attorney, then there are two I can recommend: Sam Peppers and John Mashburn. The probate court will have their numbers. If you call them, tell them that you were referred by me (Dr. Tilley). Sam Peppers used to be a magistrate for the Franklin County Probate Court, so he really knows his stuff. John Mashburn's office is located in Groveport. If neither of them work, then I have other attorneys that I could direct you to.

Good luck. :)