:(

thorne

My snake died, I have no idea why. Her temp and shit was all right I came up stairs and she was upside down :(.

She ate recently

Her cage was ~85 degrees

She had humididy on her glass

Sorry I'm kinda upset I never had a pet day right before me like this.

Did you have at least one hygrometer in the enclosure? 85 is your high end you need a cool end also so the snake can regulate itself. Also the enclosure will have to be big enough so you can achieve two areas. One of 80-85 drooping to a area of 70-75 degrees on the other end. Also like I had said before a hygrometer needs to be setup so your know for sure what the humidity is. To high humidity can cause serious respiratory problems.

That being said I had a ball python die on me for no apparent reason. You never know for sure when you picking up a new herp how good of shape they are really in. If you are looking for a new snake I can give you a breeders name that is local. I have been looking at. I haven't gotten anything from him yet but, from what I have seen I like his stock. You can also look at Bob Clark. He is on of the top breeders out there. He has standard balls starting at $45.00 going all the way up to $15,000.00 for Leucistic.

A snake is a wild animal... wild animals are supposed to live in the wild... when you change that, bad things can and often do happen that most people dont understand, and the animal dies. Like the guy who captured 12 baby Giant Squid. He kept them in the dark, in the same water that they came out of, same temp, everything... and in the 6 hours it took for the ship to make it back to port, every single one of them died... for no appearent reason.

A snake is a wild animal... wild animals are supposed to live in the wild... when you change that, bad things can and often do happen that most people dont understand, and the animal dies. Like the guy who captured 12 baby Giant Squid. He kept them in the dark, in the same water that they came out of, same temp, everything... and in the 6 hours it took for the ship to make it back to port, every single one of them died... for no appearent reason.

umm lets see a captive bred snake, vrs a animal that we as humans have NEVER seen, in person, full grown, ever. yea good comparison there. Also did he keep it at the same pressure? The Coelacanth for example can not survive in shallow waters. It has to have the high pressure of the depths to survive. Snakes have been bred in captivity for eons. Maybe not as long as say your family dog. Just like any animal you need to know what your caring for and its requirements. I wouldn't suggest a iguana to someone who is not prepared to make fresh high quality iguana salads for it every day and keep a enclosure large enough for it to be happy. Same as you wouldn't recommend a Irish wolf hound to someone that lives in a studio apt.

Well that humidity seems fine almost a little low, but... When you sprayed the enclosure the humidity level may have gotten too high. Also how big was the snake and what size of food was offered. Was it live or pre-killed? What size enclosure was the snake in? Also whats the cold end?

umm lets see a captive bred snake, vrs a animal that we as humans have NEVER seen, in person, full grown, ever. yea good comparison there. Also did he keep it at the same pressure? The Coelacanth for example can not survive in shallow waters. It has to have the high pressure of the depths to survive. Snakes have been bred in captivity for eons. Maybe not as long as say your family dog. Just like any animal you need to know what your caring for and its requirements. I wouldn't suggest a iguana to someone who is not prepared to make fresh high quality iguana salads for it every day and keep a enclosure large enough for it to be happy. Same as you wouldn't recommend a Irish wolf hound to someone that lives in a studio apt.

Wild animal is a wild animal. Both have inate behaviors and qualities, and wild animal instincts, just like you and me. You could breed humans in slightly higher altitudes for a million years, but that doesnt mean that we will be able to breathe nitrogen at some point. Reguardless of how long an animal has been "domesticated" its still an eating machine. Snakes do 2 things, hunt, and mate. Dogs, play, explore, be stupid, and fight for attention. They are just of a higher intellect. Monkeys can do even more things like tease, and instigate, as well as show affection. The squid and snake are on the same level.

The baby squid are found near the surface of the ocean. So pressure was not the cause. There was actully some frames of footage taken of an adult Giant squid a couple years ago... ill see if i can find the footage.

Reguardless of how long an animal has been "domesticated" its still an eating machine. Snakes do 2 things, hunt, and mate. Dogs, play, explore, be stupid, and fight for attention. They are just of a higher intellect. Monkeys can do even more things like tease, and instigate, as well as show affection. The squid and snake are on the same level.

:nono: ok you have no knowledge or understanding of this subject. any further conversation with you would be juvenile. your replies are not helpfully or knowledgeable to the question at hand. be gone with you.

Slpn, you are only offering up half assed knowledge. Serioulsy, no offense. Just saying.

Thorne, we spoke earlier of your snake predicament. Spidey's mentioned some of the stuff I did. Like I said, if everything was fine (I still felt even a larger tank would've been better. And just for some peoples info, the store he bought it from wanted him to keep it in a 10gal enclosure where the snake could reach the bulb etc. Fuckin ridiculous. I don't trust that place and that's not the only reason.) Watch for possible parasite infections. (Hard to do know unless you autopsy the damn thing.) I still think the rats were larger than they needed to be and I don't like feeding frozen food at all. Get a live one and if you still want, knock that bastard out and then feed the snake.

Let's wait to see what the store says and if it's shit or not as I haven't agreed with hardly a damn thing they said which is why I walked out the store that night.

And just for some peoples info, the store he bought it from wanted him to keep it in a 10gal enclosure where the snake could reach the bulb etc.

they wanted it to be able to reach the bulb?:confused::wtf:

Throne, this is a perfect way for the snake to seriously burn itself!

I don't remeber anyone saying they wanted him to touch the lite, The light just would have been closer then i would have liked. BTW the night we were there that dude who was running his mouther did not work there at all.

Terry seems very knwoledgeable they even have him come teach. He also agreed that the 20 gallon was the way to go and later a bigger one.

So i think you judged them worng based on the one dickhead that did not work there.

But, I still have a dead snake and no idea what happened. BTW I verfied the temp in the cage.

89 oin the hotside 72% after laving the gauge in there while I went to ips.

I have a small corn snake at my house. I use frozen mice to feed it but I thaw it out before I feed it. If not the snake with either not eat it, or eat it then throw it up.

Maybe ball pythons are different. Mine likes me to play around and move the mouse before it eats it.

thats not so much a difference in species of snake, but in the way the snake was raised. or even just the temperament of the particular snake. generally snakes are not scavengers. which is why pre-killed doesn't always work. if the snake was captive born where in always raised this way (in taking pre-killed) it will have better chances at taking pre-killed.

on a side note l love the corn snakes. beautiful species.

wow...thats odd

wierd though...my snake has been hiding for 4-5 weeks, and hasnt eaten. i checked the temp, it was like 74 in there, under the light. i thought it was too cool, so i called up to see if i should bump it to a 75, and he said it might be too hot for him and to take it down to a 40. well, the lowest i found was a 50, put that in 2 days ago, and today i come home and hes out of his hiding tank hanging out...im gonna try to feed him again today

i would go back to terry and see if he can do something for you. you did get everything from him right?

hopefully you saved the snake to take it to him to show him

what!?

yea what he said.

oh and evan.. I am confused. They told you to take you temp down to 40?? That cant be right. Also another thing you have to understand is photo cycling. As in how many hours of "daylight" vrs how many hours of "darkness" your snake gets. If you have the snake in front on a window to regulate its day/nights you can see effects from this. I used to get my Bullsnake to hibernate in the winter months by replicating the the changes in daylight hours. When he was inactive during the winter months he rarely ate.

Throne as soon as you said you found him upside down and such first thing I thought of was too much heat. Especially after he just ate. His body will produce more heat while he is digesting.

:nono: ok you have no knowledge or understanding of this subject. any further conversation with you would be juvenile. your replies are not helpfully or knowledgeable to the question at hand. be gone with you.

Slpn, you are only offering up half assed knowledge. Serioulsy, no offense. Just saying.

WTF? I dont think i posted up any specific knowledge of any kind... i could pretend that i know why it died, and throw out some bullshit reason, but i dont have the slightest clue as to what it takes to keep a snake alive... so lets relook at what i typed...

A snake is a wild animal... wild animals are supposed to live in the wild... when you change that, bad things can and often do happen that most people dont understand, and the animal dies.

Basically, if you take an animal out of its natural habitate, sometimes it dies for no appearent reason... whats so hard to swallow?

Next...

Like the guy who captured 12 baby Giant Squid. He kept them in the dark, in the same water that they came out of, same temp, everything... and in the 6 hours it took for the ship to make it back to port, every single one of them died... for no appearent reason.

Again, backing up a previous statement. The animal was removed from its habitat, and it died for no appearent reason.

Another example that you might like better... butterflies. How many times have people captured a butterfly or a spider, or a rabbit, or any nuber of critters and attempted to keep it as a pet... more often then not, they die, even when you give them everyhting they need. how many gerbils and mice, and hamsters and guinipigs have been bred in a shop some where, in controlled conditions, then turn up dead one morning for no reason? How bout... ALL THE TIME.

All im saying is, sometimes animals die with no signs of distress before hand... they just do. People do this too... fine one minute the next theyre dead... its called a heart attack.