Res Electricians/Journeymen - Need some advice

Nate1647545505

Hi folks,

Doing some remodeling and we ended up stumbling across a wiring issue. Hopefully this picture gives a good reference:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5987/sweetbo4.jpg

As you can see, the outlet is half switched to allow the switched operation of the garbage disposal and constant supply for the dishwasher. The outlet is located under the sink in the rear of the cabinet.

We decided to update all of the outlets in the kitchen since the house was built in the 40s and use GFCI outlets. I had a spare one laying in the toolbox and found that - I don't think - there is a way to wire it for half switched operation. So, we decided to use a new standard outlet and find a solution later.

Well, tried to hook the damn think up again, and kept getting an open neutral condition. I think its plausible some tugs and shoves from swapping the outlets in and out might have caused a break in the wire. I've tested it and I can get continuity between the ground and hot, but neutral is dead.

Is there any way, minus cutting a huge hole in the back of the cabinet, to further troubleshoot the problem? Running a new wire is going to be a huge pain in the ass....if it is even possible.

Thanks

Nate

I agree with above, I just got finished rewiring 90% of my house, basically the entire 1st floor and basement, haven't made it to the 2nd floor yet. But my house was built in the 40's as well and that shit was crunchy, definite fire hazard. I also grounded my entire house and put gfci's in the bathroom/kitchen areas. Wasn't that bad, the entire project only ran me about $500 in materials so far, and that included a bunch of dremel bits because plaster is hard as shit, lol.