OSU vs Texas

Casper

You think Truss keeps his job after 3 straight?

They just gave him another million to stay on. His contract runs till 2013 with 3.5 million /year!!!

It was a good game, I'm disappointed with the finish. There were some stupid penalties that hurt them in the first half. Maybe hit the first extra point instead of the two point conversion. I'm suprised Tres went for two in a row. That's not his style at all

I was very weary about the two quarterback offense, since it didn't work all that well in California. But it showed that Todd Beockman deserved to be playing on the same field with Pryor.

I do think the rest of the FBS can shut their pie holes now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I really try to be a fan of OSU, but every time I try, they show me why I can't be.

Few things from an armchair perspective:

1) Truss needs to be taken into the office and told that if he doesn't change his coaching style, he's out. No matter what amount is left on contract. He's too nice, too gentle. It's like his balls haven't fallen down yet...

2) Truss again, but more specific... Truss needs to realize that just because he's got a QB that is a Senior, doesn't mean he HAS to play. There's a thing in ANY sport called rhythm. Go 1st and 2nd down and then put a different QB in there and it is not only tough for that QB, but tough on the first guy to come back on 3rd and long and try to make something happen. Pryor is simply a better QB. He's a legit Freshman and while his completion % was similar to Boeckman's, Pryor can move, can run, can do about everything Boeckman cannot.

Why there is this need to try and get playing time for a guy simply because he's a Senior is Pee Wee league crap. People have to win, people have to lose. Pryor is a better QB than Boeckman and therefore, tough luck for Boeckman, but he should sit vs. playing - especially this mixing them in crap...

3) Play calls. 3rd and long and Truss runs it up the middle. 4th and short yards in Texas territory and they go for 3 instead only to miss. They gave the ball away anyways and the reality is that they could have used Pryor to get that 3 yards and the 1st down.

In the end, Truss is a pussy. He's too conservative, too gentle a coach and WAY too concerned about giving fair time to those that are seniors or could be offended to being replaced by someone better. That's life - we all are up for replacement. Again, some win, some lose. Build on what you have and move forward instead of holding things back in an effort to be "fair"...

Rant over.

But it showed that Todd Beockman deserved to be playing on the same field with Pryor.

Huh? His passing completion % was close to the same, but honestly, you think Boeckman is as good as Pryor? He doesn't deserve it - Pryor deserves the job because OVERALL, he's a better QB. If OSU would get over trying to have two QBs and use them like they do, they could have built the offense around Pryor 100% and his style. They could have been KILLER with Wells and Pryor in there 100%.

Every time they put in Boeckman, he was pressured and didn't move around. Sacked, stiff, and at the end of the day, all he did was gun it long yards in a feeble attempt at getting a big gain. Crap.

I think Beockman has a better throwing arm, and sits better in the pocket. Had OSU aerial offense come into play, there probably would be a different outcome. He threw a couple of bullets in the game that only osu receivers could get to. I also think the Beockman has a better field vision. E.g. not stepping out of bound before the 1st down marker, not stepping out of bounds when he could have run eight more yards. Pryor is an excellent player, and will certainly be kickass this coming year.

Pryor threw a couple of darts to the field when he was under pressure.

I do believe the Pryor was the correct QB, becasue of his running skills. Which OSU seemed to domintate last night. I just think his passing skills need to come along more.

Man, I really try to be a fan of OSU, but every time I try, they show me why I can't be.

Few things from an armchair perspective:

1) Truss needs to be taken into the office and told that if he doesn't change his coaching style, he's out. No matter what amount is left on contract. He's too nice, too gentle. It's like his balls haven't fallen down yet...

2) Truss again, but more specific... Truss needs to realize that just because he's got a QB that is a Senior, doesn't mean he HAS to play. There's a thing in ANY sport called rhythm. Go 1st and 2nd down and then put a different QB in there and it is not only tough for that QB, but tough on the first guy to come back on 3rd and long and try to make something happen. Pryor is simply a better QB. He's a legit Freshman and while his completion % was similar to Boeckman's, Pryor can move, can run, can do about everything Boeckman cannot.

Why there is this need to try and get playing time for a guy simply because he's a Senior is Pee Wee league crap. People have to win, people have to lose. Pryor is a better QB than Boeckman and therefore, tough luck for Boeckman, but he should sit vs. playing - especially this mixing them in crap...

3) Play calls. 3rd and long and Truss runs it up the middle. 4th and short yards in Texas territory and they go for 3 instead only to miss. They gave the ball away anyways and the reality is that they could have used Pryor to get that 3 yards and the 1st down.

In the end, Truss is a pussy. He's too conservative, too gentle a coach and WAY too concerned about giving fair time to those that are seniors or could be offended to being replaced by someone better. That's life - we all are up for replacement. Again, some win, some lose. Build on what you have and move forward instead of holding things back in an effort to be "fair"...

Rant over.

People who know me...know that I despise all things that are OSU. With that being said, complaining about Tressel is basically unwarranted at this stage. He wins 10+ games per year and gets you to a BCS bowl every season. I guess some fans are just plain spoiled.

I know you'd like to win some of these bowl games...especially those last two NC games. Tressel is not out on the field playing. 2 years ago when Troy Smiff won the Heisman and basically had the best statistical season for an OSU QB ever, he shat down his leg in the big game. Blame Troy, not Tressel. Last year, they were simply over matched and LUCKED in to the NC game. this year, they competed to the very end...and played well. I commend him for getting Boek in to the game...he's a far better passer than Pryor - stats will prove this.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame the Big10. It was 37 days since OSU last played. You dont think that layoff hurts? their season is over 2 weeks before the rest of the big teams.

Mike Tomlin played all of his players in the Steelers' meaningless game vs. the Clowns...Ben Roth got concussed. Tomlin said he'd do it all over again...he didnt want his guys taking two weeks off and getting out of game shape.

My point...Tressel, as much as i hate him, is a pretty good coach....you're lucky to have him. the long layoff is a bigger reason for shitty bowl performances from the big10.

First comment, if Beanie stays healthy for the entire game I think we win this one. I heard it was a concussion?

I think Beockman has a better throwing arm, and sits better in the pocket. Had OSU aerial offense come into play, there probably would be a different outcome. He threw a couple of bullets in the game that only osu receivers could get to. I also think the Beockman has a better field vision. E.g. not stepping out of bound before the 1st down marker, not stepping out of bounds when he could have run eight more yards. Pryor is an excellent player, and will certainly be kickass this coming year.

Pryor threw a couple of darts to the field when he was under pressure.

I do believe the Pryor was the correct QB, becasue of his running skills. Which OSU seemed to domintate last night. I just think his passing skills need to come along more.

I think it comes down to experience. Pryor has a lot of talent but he's still young. He gets nervous and doesn't perform like he should. Give him another year or two and I think we'll be very pleased.

Exactly!

Rant over.

:nono: Tressel's game plan for this game was very solid and exactly how you attack this Texas team. This Texas team was not a team to "air it out" against. Our offense (QB, Recievers, O-Line) is not good enough to go toe-to-toe with Texas through the air...and it showed. The only reason we stayed in this game until the last quarter was b/c of our "conservative" play calling. Keeping the ball out of the hands of the Texas offense was the only way we had a shot in this game...and once Beanie was out this became a lot tougher.

As far as Tressel's conservative play calling....did you watch Troy Smith and the 2005/06 Buckeyes?

Tressel has changed the style of play calling each year to suit the players he has on the field. Look at Michigan, DickRod would rather run his top players out of the program than change his offensive scheme for a year or two easing the team into his spread attack...look where that got him this year. IMO, Tressel is one of the best coaches at adapting to the players he has at hand and our recievers and passers are not great this year like 2005/06 (look at what Gonzo, Holmes, and Ginn are doing in the NFL). I agree that at moments (like maybe the missed FG this game) I would rather see a more aggresive play call but on the flip-side if we make that FG it would have been Texas going for 2 to try to stay in the game.

Edited by wolfman

yeah, but not his offensive coordinator.

Hopefully defensive, too. I would like to see Spielman at defensive coordinator.

I gotta agree w/ Wolfie here......I think your defense cost you the game. Couldn't stop the hurry up/no huddle, and couldn't stop an obvious upcoming pass w/ 16 seconds left to closeout & win the game

I think the offense looked fine.....Other than Beanie getting hurt again. He seems to be another Clarett....oft injured, which is surprising as big as he is. They even had Boeckman & Pryor hook up for a TD

Edited by Fonzie

Oh, and I'm wearing my OSU sweatshirt today. Woot.

:rolleyes: WOW......I'm impressed....You're a loyal fan! Are all the other Buckeye fans in Columbus giving you a hard time for that?!? picture.gifpicture.gifroflmao.gif

I gotta agree w/ Wolfie here......I think your defense cost you the game. Couldn't stop the hurry up/no huddle, and couldn't stop an obvious upcoming pass w/ 16 seconds left to closeout & win the game

I think the offense looked fine.....Other than Beanie getting hurt again. He seems to be another Clarett....oft injured, which is surprising as big as he is. They even had Boeckman & Pryor hook up for a TD

beanie's a beast, he's nothin like clarett. his injury was a concussion, no matter who you are you are gonna get a concussion with a hard hit like that. his foot injury was a freak thing, it happens it's football.

It was def. a great game though. Ending sucked for us, but we should that we could hang with the best of the best. And yes the hurry up killed us, should've used a timeout there toward the end to give the guys a break and set up the defense.

:rolleyes: WOW......I'm impressed....You're a loyal fan! Are all the other Buckeye fans in Columbus giving you a hard time for that?!? picture.gifpicture.gifroflmao.gif

i saw a TON of people rocking their OSU gear today :)

Thanks for Pratt having all us rowdy people over.... and letting us break in her new couches....

No prob.....thanks to those who actually did show up. ;) It got rowdier as the night went on. My friend kev & I was still screaming 80's hits at 2am. Needless to say I didn't make it to work until almost 10am. And Ben I'm sorry but u left your beer in the fridge...and umm well it's gone. :p I owe ya some!!!! And it wasn't me this time. :confused:

And GSXRnurse be lookin for those pics on my myspace.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

i saw a TON of people rocking their OSU gear today :)

Of course you did.....You're in Columbus.....Everyone's drinkin' the koolaid with you ;)

Edited by Fonzie

as any true fan should. I have been wearing my bama sweatshirt and hat since they lost don't bother me none.

That's because no one up here gives 2 shits about 'Bama. It's not like anyone up here's gonna give you a hard time about it, other than maybe a few casual comments, so why would it bother you?

I wear my shit win or lose every year. I have had a lot of people say stuff to me about losing to utah and I just tell them at least we haven't lost 3 in a row and make excuses for our losses.