interference engines

Dave1647545494

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my minivan(3.0 chrysler) is an interference motor, just had the whole side of the motor apart for a new belt and water pump..not sure about others but they recomend a belt change on my motor every 30,000 what a pain in the ass...if it breaks your fucked so you have to change it

they make tools to lock the cam gears so that this dosnt happen

those only help if you change the belt before it breaks...so interference engines are still a stupid design....belt breaks randomly driving down the road and whipes out the top end of the motor.....JUNK

Guest Removed

ummm...interference engines have been around a long time. chains just dont break as much!

btw ...if the belt gets lined up right, you dont bend valves.

hence why i push timing belt replacement's

fuck you and may you be hit by a bus whoever you are for inventing some stupid ass shit that can bend a valve if the cam slips while changing the timing belt then requiring some poor bastard to pull half the fucking motor apart to replace the bent part :(

Interference motors (for the most part) make more power thanks to big time lift and duration-which in tern makes a valve to piston event a possibility if the timing drive system fails. With a real man cam- your Mustang could join the interference crowd as well. ;)

Guest Removed
Interference motors (for the most part) make more power thanks to big time lift and duration-which in tern makes a valve to piston event a possibility if the timing drive system fails. With a real man cam- your Mustang could join the interference crowd as well. ;)

why would it need a bigger cam? take the chain off a stock motor, and turn it over. it will still bend a valve!

Guest Removed
not sure if those are like the 1.8l's or not but cant you put a roll pin punch in the top of the cam's to keep them from turning? honda was pretty good at doing stuff like that!

Guest Removed
that sucks....im glad when we changed the belt on my van it stayed in time...first time we tryed it jumped a tooth on the back cam, good thing my dad caught it before i started it

one tooth off normally wont hurt them just makes them run bad! but some are so loaded with spring pressure that if you dont do something to hold them the cam turns 180 and will smack a piston!

one tooth off normally wont hurt them just makes them run bad! but some are so loaded with spring pressure that if you dont do something to hold them the cam turns 180 and will smack a piston!

interference engines are fairly new to me so i wanted to make sure it was spot on.....my dads done several of them so i had good help atleast....nothing beats having a mechanic with 30 years experience on your side :D

not sure if those are like the 1.8l's or not but cant you put a roll pin punch in the top of the cam's to keep them from turning? honda was pretty good at doing stuff like that!

I usually just grab somebody who's just standing around and have them hold the cam while I start the new belt but we were busy.....

I'll be getting with my tool man to find a good set of holder tools so it doesn't happen again....

my minivan(3.0 chrysler) is an interference motor, just had the whole side of the motor apart for a new belt and water pump..not sure about others but they recomend a belt change on my motor every 30,000 what a pain in the ass...if it breaks your fucked so you have to change it

Chrysler (Mitsubishi) 3.0 is not an interference engine, I've owned and worked on countless vehicles with this engine. Just FYI.