HIR (Halogen Infra-Red) bulbs

mmrmnhrm

Is anybody actually using these? Only one thread mentioned them, and just as a "not the same as HID, but better than OEM" comment. They look impressive, but I couldn't find any comments as to how long they last, or if there's long-term usage problems like with cheapie HID conversions. Oh, and at $25 each, what would the preferred installation process be? Obviously don't touch with bare hands, but is an alcohol bath or wiping with an alcohol-drenched paper towel suggested?

# What are 'Halogen Infra-red' Light Bulbs?

Halogen Infra-red ( or HIR lamps) retain all of the benefits of standard halogen but are even more efficient. Halogen-IR uses a high-temperature reflective film to coat the inner layer and trap wasted invisible infra-red light within it. This redirected infra-red heats the filament to produce more visable light, resulting in efficiency improvements of over 40% compared with standard halogen lamps. You get the same crisp, white light, beam control, and compactness of the standard halogen lamp.

88lx5oh: I was asking if anybody is *USING* them, not what they are.

Brian: Seen some before/after shots, and they look like the real deal. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=1764499

Thorne: I'm leaning towards it. The OEM bulbs in my Civic suck pretty hard.

TonyG: Silverstars seem to get loved on for the light, then promptly hated on for insanely short life spans.

88lx5oh: I was asking if anybody is *USING* them, not what they are.

Brian: Seen some before/after shots, and they look like the real deal. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=1764499

Thorne: I'm leaning towards it. The OEM bulbs in my Civic suck pretty hard.

TonyG: Silverstars seem to get loved on for the light, then promptly hated on for insanely short life spans.

LOL hence the reason I noted "enjoyed"

I have had 4 HIR 9011's in Denali housings on my Sierra for over a year and they are great. Much better than the Silverstar's I had in a S-10 a few years ago

Anyone that's driven a GM truck at night knows the headlights suck. These bulbs coupled with the projector style housing made a huge difference.

I've heard that John Deere uses these bulbs in tractors and you can maybe save some money by calling a dealer.

I have had 4 HIR 9011's in Denali housings on my Sierra for over a year and they are great. Much better than the Silverstar's I had in a S-10 a few years ago

Anyone that's driven a GM truck at night knows the headlights suck. These bulbs coupled with the projector style housing made a huge difference.

I've heard that John Deere uses these bulbs in tractors and you can maybe save some money by calling a dealer.

Not always. My '99 Sierra had so-so lighting, but my new Colorado headlights are insanely good/bright. I don't know what GM did, but they work extremely well.