Ford stops Mustang club from releasing calendar

2 Sweet

Yeah it's pretty fucking stupid.

"I'm sorry, but at this point we will not be producing the 2008 BMC Calendar, featuring our 2007 Members of the Month, solely due to Ford Motor Company's claim that THEY own all rights to the photos YOU take of YOUR car."

What is this world coming to...

I got some more info from the folks at cafepress and according to them, a law firm representing Ford contacted them saying that our calendar pics (and our club's event logos - anything with one of our cars in it) infringes on Ford's trademarks which include the use of images of THEIR vehicles. Also, Ford claims that all the images, logos and designs OUR graphics team made for the BMC events using Danni are theirs as well. Funny, I thought Danni's title had my name on it ... and I thought you guys owned your cars ... and, well ... I'm not even going to get into how wrong and unfair I feel this whole thing is as I'd be typing for hours, but I wholeheartedly echo everything you guys have been saying all afternoon. I'm not letting this go un-addressed and I'll keep you guys posted as I get to work on this.

I'm sorry, but at this point we will not be producing the 2008 BMC Calendar, featuring our 2007 Members of the Month, solely due to Ford Motor Company's claim that THEY own all rights to the photos YOU take of YOUR car. I hope to resolve this soon, and be able to provide the calendar and other BMC merchandise that you guys want and deserve! This thread will remain open for you to comment however you wish, and I'll update it as needed.

If Ford's "intellectual property" definition could apply to this calender, then every photo of any Mustang in the various publications like MM & FF, 5.0 (and others) is a violation as well. These photos are of club members cards and the calender is being sold to those same members. Doesn't make sense to me. Looks like Ford thinks there cars are the gift that keeps on giving if you have ask their permission to photograph it and publish it for your own consumption after you paid them thousands to buy it.

As a side note...as I am typing this Ford Stock is at its all time Historical Low... $5.76 per share...maybe they should support people that love their products instead of tearing them down! This kind of stuff certainly doent make people have a warm fuzzy for Ford and want to buy more cars from them...just my 2 cents!

I think CR needs to all pitch in some money into creating an investment company, I think we could pull off a hostile takeover of Ford at this point, considering their stock is nearly worthless.

Its a dumb business move! I bet over half of the Mustang sales depend simply on the history of the mustang and the appeal and tradition of the muscle car. Peoples obsession with mustangs are one of the few things Ford can count on.

Wow, that sucks... But this kind of smacks as a loose cannon in Ford's legal department. I think this will get worked out and someone at Ford will get a slap on the wrist.

In the interim, maybe I should go through my flickr account and remove all the Ford pictures...